Cichlid Fish Forum banner

FIREMOUTH TANK MATE

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  krazykilroy 
#1 ·
Hi need some species that would go well with my firemouth it is currently 2 inches including fins. :thumb:

#2 ·
Firemouths IME have a lot of personality, they remind me of the short angry kid on the playground. Aggressive, but not really capable in a larger environment.

2 quick questions, do you want the Firemouth to be your centerpiece? Also, the most important question, how big is your tank?

#7 ·
So I was in PetSmart and they had A Jack Dempsey in One tank, and two Bolivian Rams in another. the Dempsey was a bit beaten up by a larger Dempsey, so I felt pity on him, and bought him, and the Two rams were bullying every other fish in their tank, so I bought them too. Put them in a 20 gal and wanted to see how they would get along. The Dempsey started to push around the two Rams. Not violently, but it looked like it would only be a matter of time. So Jill (because it looks like a female Dempsey...) went to "Urgent care" (the name for my 10-gallon tank..).

Next day, I bought a Firemouth from PetSmart that looked like it had no drive, determination, and/or desire to do anything. I put him in the 20 gal with the two Rams, and he immediately went into the ornament, never to show his face. The next day, the Firemouth has found his way outside of the ornament, and is bullying the two Rams even worse than Jill was! So get the net, and put the Firemouth into Urgent Care like Jill was. Jill, meet Firemouth. Firemouth? Jill.

The pecking order established itself, as Jill, although smaller than the Male firemouth, decided to let him know who is the boss. I hope that moving both to the 55 gallon tank will make them ok with one another given more space between them...

Firemouths generally are QUICK to realize their place in the pecking order.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.