Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Planning a 120 gallon

687 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  zerojoke 
#1 ·
Hi Guys!

I'm starting to plan a tank and assess my options. I've kept many tanks in the past with a variety of cichlid species, have worked in live fish care in the past and am finally moving into a home that is semi permanent and that means I get a big tank :D

So my thoughts on what I'm looking for - I want a big tank that's built into the wall, something that's between 75 and 125 gallons. I know length is important, but I'm more a fan of the visual depth of 120 gallons than I am of 125 gallon tanks.

In terms of livestock I'm of two minds - I worked on Lake Tanganyika for a while and have always had some affection for those fish as a result. A tank of Frontosa would be awesome. On the other hand (and why I'm not posting in the Tanganyika section) I kind of think some variety might be nice. I'm considering going with a pair or two of CA cichlids, based in part on my fiancee's love of Vieja synspilum. If I were to do a pair of those (or a solitary specimen) what sort of tank mates could I keep with them? An oscar? Two? :D

I'm mostly looking for large, colorful, charismatic cichlids. If I could stick a bichir of some sort in there too I would be SO HAPPY. Any advice? I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed in planning for a large tank like this, as I'm not even fully sure of what's possible. I'm giddy at the thought!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.