Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Rainbow cichlid tank mates

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  mambee 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of cycling a new 55 gallon tank, and I'm working on my stocking options. I wanted to get some opinions and advice on my plan so far.

I currently have 11 black neon and lemon tetras (total) and 7 kuhli loaches in a 29 gallon that will be moving into the new 55. I wanted to add:

1 rainbow cichlid
1 bolivian ram
school of panda coryadoras

I was also looking for suggestions for a larger tetra. My neons, lemons, and loaches are 5-6 years old now, so I'm expecting some attrition soon on those numbers (hopefully not *too* soon).

Thanks for any thoughts!

#2 ·
I had columbian tetras (red and blue tetras) in with my rainbows with zero problems. Some people say they are fin nippers but I've never seen any evidence of that with mine but I keep them in a school of 15ish in a 5 foot tank. The tetras are now in with A. centrarchus and H. notatus (or sp. Inirida, I'm not sure) and still zero problems.

#3 ·
Emperor Tetras are pretty cool. They don't really school but spread out with each male defending a territory in the upper third of the tank. Rummynoses are my favorite tetras because they are tight shoalers who are constantly in motion. I also like black phantom tetras.

#4 ·
I was looking at the Emperor tetras, but I read they can be hard to find. After some research, I was thinking of getting more lemon tetras. They have a max size of 2 inches and I read that the rainbow cichlids are not as aggressive as some (most) of the other cichlids.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.