Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Paratheraps Synspilum (redhead cichlid or firehead cichlid)

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Sinister-Kisses 
#1 ·
I was having trouble in my tank from my redhead cichlid as it got bigger it bullied everything in my tank, three of my cichlids died due to her constant bullying, so i've brought a new tank and put her in to it, i also put a male in with her and a pleco, unfortunately the male was a lot smaller than her and she bullied him so i had to take him back to the aquatic shop, but now she is bullying the pleco, can anyone give me any information on what other cichlids i can put in with her, she is about 5/7inches big so i know i have to put some in about as big as her, do you think a fantosa would go with her.

Please if anyone can help me i would be very grateful, as i don't want to get rid of her as i've had her from small, she regularly laid eggs but i had no men in the tank to fertalize them, so any advive will be great.

#4 ·
Well, I'm glad it is a decent sized tank - I was worried you were going to come back with "its a 55" :)

I'd not mix locations, so a Frontosa would be out. It can be very difficult to find tankmates for larger CA cichlids, due to the aggression you have seen.

No matter what direction you go, be sure to add plenty of hiding spots, and perhaps some dither fish may be a good idea. I'm no expert on CA cichlids, but have kept them in the past.

#5 ·
Definitely NO to a Frontosa. They get large, but they are no match for a large CA cichlid and she'll kill them.

IF you try to add anything else, don't add just one. Add multiple at a time (three at least, I would say) to help disperse the aggression. If you add just one, she'll have a solo target and all her attention will be directed there. You probably will have better luck with fish that are larger than she is.

Honestly, you may not be able to keep anything with her. Large, aggressive CA cichlids just aren't always compatible in tanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.