Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Jack Dempsey been sick for over a year

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Brittanirdh 
#1 ·
I have had a great Jack Dempsey for about 5 years now. He has gotten really big but over a year ago he started swimming funny and developed a bulge on his side. At times it sticks up almost two inches and other times less than an inch. It looks like at this point he is unable to totally straighten himself when swimming. I have read a bunch about bloat and idk and swim bladder but can't figure out what's going on and how to treat it. I thought it wouldn't be worth it for the meds because everything I read said it was took late if you're already seeing signs. I thought he would die and here we are a year and about 3 months later. He has been strictly on his side for a year. The scales on one side are getting nasty and one eye is bulging out more than the other side. Everyone that sees him says he looks like he is dying but he still eats once a day. No one in the tank really messes with him and if they do he's not afraid to hold his own. Any ideas?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.