Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Female Jack Dempsey wont eat!

895 views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  PurestJudgment 
#1 ·
My 55g has been established for two months. The contained critters are currently only 1 Female Oscar 4" long, 1 Female JD 4.5" long, 1 male JD 5" long and 1 bushel nose place about 6" long. A South African substrate, LED light bar and canister filter. Haven't got around to making all the rock caves yet, so the tank is a bit bare.
Use to have a 6" male tiger Oscar in with them, but he was starting to nip at everyone.

All 5 fish came from a friend who needed to get rid of her tank. I gladly took the beautiful fish. They have all seemed to be doing quite well. However, for the last few weeks I have noticed the female JD looking "thinner". I noticed at feeding time she wouldn't eat. So I got Cichlid flakes and they seem to like them more then the sinking small pellets and floating pellets. However the female still isn't swimming to the surface to eat them. The sinking pellets are quite small and they just bounce off of her as she ignores them. I placed feeder fish in the tank (which the Oscars loved) and still no joy with the female JD.

The female JD has also been rubber the side of her face along the filter and heater, almost as if she is trying to "itch it". I have tried 4 types of food, I'm starting to think she might be sick. Could use any thoughts any of you have! Thanks!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.