Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Single Cichlid for a 180g

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Aquariguns 
#1 ·
I ve went out and bought another 180g tank . Currently have my first 180g 6x2x2 cycling which is going to be a Frontosa tank . But I like the idea of having a single fish tank . So bought another 180g, what would be happy in a 180g on its own ? I ve done Oscars before so ideally something else . Maybe something bigger/aggressive ? Does nt need to be Central America. Thoughts please

#2 ·
Since we are in the "central american" cichlid sub-section I'll start by asking, how bout a mated pair of Jags(Parachromis managuensis)? They can get to be about 2' and a mated pair can be quite aggressive. (buy 6 and once 2 pair off, take the others back to your LFS)

If you venture a little further south, you can find a silver Arowana. These get to be around 3' and are pretty aggressive, if I had a large tank to devote to a monster fish it would be this one.

I suggest you look at the Monsterfishkeepers forum. This might give you a wider array of ideas for a 180g.

#4 ·
Murray1983 said:
But I like the idea of having a single fish tank .
If your really looking to have a single large fish in a 180 gal., there are a lot of choices of CA cichlid: Dovii, jag, trimac, RD, midas, and other midas-type Amphilophus. Any of the large Veija/Paratheraps such as black belt or Argentea.
Some of the "Tilapines" are very outgoing fish: Buttikoferi, tiger cichlid ( Pelmatilapia mariae), Coptodon zillii, Oreochromis mossambicus
Dovii or buttikoferi often make sense to be kept as a lone specimen, since more often these prove most difficult to be kept with tank mates.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.