Cichlid Fish Forum banner

New electric blue jack dempsey advise

5K views 28 replies 3 participants last post by  Brittanirdh 
#1 ·
Hi, new to this forum!
I have a fully cycled 70 gallon that has been up and running for years. It has a large over the side filter and a uv filter. My green sunfish who was my center piece died of old age last month. Sad about the loss, had him for years and years. PH 7.4, ammonia 0, no2 0, no3 always less than 20. Siphon gravel weekly. I'm ready for a new center piece and have ordered a baby electric blue jack dempsey. I absolutely fell in love with these fish. I've been trying to read as much as possible about them to make as happy as possible. I find conflicting info out there. My tank is currently stocked with a very mild mannered veiled angel (body size is a little larger than a quarter and has very long fins), 10 assorted long fin danios, 2 zebra nerite snails, several ghost shrimp and planted with Java fern. My question is will this be too active for the new little guy? Mainly the danios, will they be too much for the new EBJD, competing for food? I've read they smaller EBJD are very touch and go until they get to be 3 inches or more. Should I remove the danios? I've read that schooling fish help make JD feel better, they watch them? So I'm just not sure if it's better to have in there or not. I know when the EBJD grows there is a chance that they could become lunch, and I'm ok with that. I just want to make sure the new EBJD has the best chance to grow. Any advise on the EBJD would be appreciated!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.