Cichlid Fish Forum banner

75 gal

920 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  BC in SK 
#1 ·
I was wondering if I can keep these guys together in a 75 gal.Looking to have just all male.

Green terror, Jack Dempsey, EB Blue Acara, Firemouth, Convict, and Salvini.

#2 ·
IMO, in 75 gallons your likely to run into aggression problems with that stock list. Male CA are generally not too compatible, especially in small tanks. Keeping all male does eliminate the possibility of crossbreeding, though often males of the species are considerably more aggressive. "All male" is generally something that is done with Malawi peacocks, to have a tank with bright colors. IMO, it is not often done successfully with CA, due to there competitive and aggressive nature.
Just by switching out the male salvini for a female salvini, IMO, you'd improve your odds of success considerably. The slim chance it would pair up with a male con or male JD.....would easily be out weighed by the difference in aggression between the sexes. IME, larger male sals will fight with rival CA...until they win! Then there will be consequences for their rivals. IME there just as scrappy and territorial whether it's a single male in the tank, or paired up with a female.
I'd swap out a male con for a female con in this tank , as well.
I have my doubts whether or not 2 acaras will get along. Never tried the 2 in the same tank, but I would suspect GT is likely to bully a blue acara. GT is also the largest of your listed fish.
I'd choose the JD over a GT in this tank and maybe consider something a little more mild tempered such as a festivum or severum, instead of the GT.
Bear in mind even females can end up proving too aggressive. It's still a lot of large fish for a small tank, but I think a few changes could improve your odds of success.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.