Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Pearsei tank - round 2

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Sinister-Kisses 
#1 ·
Okay so some of you may remember my "before" photos posted not too long ago, after moving my pearsei and friends to a 6ft. tank and adding new sand substrate - which, FYI, I still am not particularly fond of...photos below. I have been on the hunt for some driftwood for the tank since then, to start working on a more natural look, and finally found a decent sized piece at a decent price last weekend. It's a piece of slate-mounted spider wood - woot, no waiting for it to sink! - and I just added it in last night. This is not the final look by any means, but it's what I have to work with right now and I'm happier with it now than before.

Before:

Now:

I need to start working on some rock work and whatnot I think, maybe some more plants and wood...suggestions?

See less See more
#2 ·
What lighting are you using? I feel the lighting is causing the sand to have the purpleish hue you are disliking. Try switching to a 6500k spectrum bulb or even better some RGB LEDs.

As for scape, I would certainly add some more wood, as well as an assortment of stones of various sizes.. from boulders down to gravel. Although the spider wood is cool, it looks like roots of a tree to me and I feel it would look much more "natural" if you had it coming down into the aquarium vs the way you have it now. I have never seen roots grow straight out of the ground... :roll:

#3 ·
Yeah, that's fair. Today was water change day anyway so out of curiosity since I was in the tank, I laid the wood over on it's side to see how it looked, and started working from there. End result, as of the moment (bit blurry as the water hadn't settled from the water change and redecorating yet, but that blocky ******* moves stuff around so I wanted to get a shot before HE redecorated lol):

As for the sand, it doesn't have a purple hue, that's just the camera. It's brown and peachy coloured in person, which is exactly why I dislike it. I like the lights, dislike the sand, so if I change anything it's going to be the sand :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.