Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Mixing cichlids

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  BC in SK 
#1 ·
Wondering about mixing cichlids. In general, I understand that mixing American and African cichlids isn't advised, but I know it can be done, even if not ideal, depending on species and conditions, bc I see them mixed in show tanks at respectable fish stores.

Specifically, I have about 25 central and south American cichlids in a 90 & 95 gal tank, divided by size. (Roughly 9 4" in the 90, 15 1-2" in the 95) I have tried to learn as much as I can, but there's so much to know. I currently have the bigger ones in one setup, the smaller in the other. I'm guessing this is ideal for now, but should I try to group them more as they mature? Or just keep an eye on behaviors?

My collection includes: green severum, red spotted severum, two blue acaras,chanchito, nicaraguan, two geophagus (different species), black convict, Jack Dempsey, pink Jack Dempsey, green terror, Texas, two rainbows, keyhole, firemouth, pantano, blood parrot, black belt, red head synspilum. Also have a pictus catfish, pleco, and bichir mixed in.

Also, how do you attach pics on posts?

#2 ·
You CAN but it is kinda harder. It mostly works to mix a few americans into an african tank, big tough ones and NOT the other way around which is a recipe for disaster most of the time. You could probably do that too but you'd have to be careful to select africans that are not aggressive but are able to defend themselves well. Like yellow labs and rusties. You would probably have to experiment and be ready to pull fish out if things go wrong.

#4 ·
mlbj1 said:
Specifically, I have about 25 central and south American cichlids in a 90 & 95 gal tank, divided by size. (Roughly 9 4" in the 90, 15 1-2" in the 95)

My collection includes: green severum, red spotted severum, two blue acaras,chanchito, nicaraguan, two geophagus (different species), black convict, Jack Dempsey, pink Jack Dempsey, green terror, Texas, two rainbows, keyhole, firemouth, pantano, blood parrot, black belt, red head synspilum. Also have a pictus catfish, pleco, and bichir mixed in.
I don't know what your long term intentions are, but you already have a lot of fish for the space you have. Some that get very large and not that well suited for the size of your tanks. They are likely fine as juvies up to a point, but probably sooner rather then later, you'll have to make some decisions on getting rid of quite a few. Black belt too big and aggressive for a 90-95. Maybe a single black belt with some smaller fish in those size of tanks, but likely to get very competitive with other large CA. Pantano and synspilum also get huge. Keyhole usually too timid to thrive with aggressive cichlids (maybe OK with the geos depending on what they are). IME rainbows often don't do well with aggressive CA. Geos, really depends on what they are.
There is different opinions on mixing. No consensus. Over the years, I had a lot of success keeping 1-2 aggressive mbuna in CA tanks. My ways have evolved over the years, and now generally keep a larger number of less aggressive mbuna with generally a single species of CA. They generally get a long much better then CA with CA; the difference is like night and day. But before you would ever consider adding something, you need to deal with what you have now. Long term, it's too much large fish for the space you have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.