Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Having trouble breeding Convicts

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Warhawk77 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have an experiment which involves breeding Convicts. This experiments involves in breeding 4 pairs of Convicts. 2 pairs in 27°C and the other 2 in 25°C. So far the only thing I've noticed my convicts doing is chasing each other and stay face to face going back and forth (not sure if these are breeding signs). I have till the 1st of May for them to breed and I'm worried that they won't breed on time. Is there something I could do to enhance their breeding? A friend suggests that I feed them live food such as mysis and bloodworms could that help?

Thanks.

#2 ·
Usually the only thing Convicts need to breed is water. :lol:

But seriously as long as you have a male and female that are mature enough to spawn, things should go well. The addition of live food should be a plus and does help them get in breeding condition.

You don't mention tank size though and you are keeping two pair in each tank but I don't know if that will make much of a difference.

#5 ·
I got my first convicts months ago as young fry, they have now grown up to a size I can start breeding. What I have learned is while yes convicts will breed some times it takes them a bit of time to start. I put my first pair together and it took about 3 weeks before they started to pair up and had eggs. On top of that there is a good chance the first spawn will be eaten before the eggs hatch.

It took me about 5 weeks but I now have free swimming fry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.