Cichlid Fish Forum banner

S. American tank mates?

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  mambee 
#1 ·
Hello! I finally got a 30 gal tank for my two rainbow cichlids. I have a filter that is for a 50 gal tank to keep the water flowing and clean - a friend recommended this approach which has worked wonders so far. I added 3 black yucatan mollies as dither fish. I have several S. American live plants (although the cichlids love uprooting them! but I still want nice plants to make it seem more natural) as well as a log. I wanted to add a new cichlid to bring a lil more color to the gang. I was thinking either a blue acara or severum. Any suggestions and advice on those two as tank mates with the rainbows? I am also wanting to get a single cichlid to hang out in my old 10 gal tank with my 2 fancy guppies. I am thinking maybe one Angel fish instead of a cichlid as it is a small tank. But with just guppies, it seems lonely in there and I am very much loving being a cichlid owner!

Thanks and Happy St Patrick's day!!!

#2 ·
Kobie said:
I was thinking either a blue acara or severum. Any suggestions and advice on those two as tank mates with the rainbows?
I think in 30 gallons your options will be very limited. IMO you really don't have the space for either a blue acara or severum. Though, these are fish that might get along well enough with rainbow cichlids in a much larger tank.
Rainbow cichlid can get a good size, 5"+. In a 30 gal. You might want to consider adding a few more rainbows in order to give a better chance at getting a pair, but you may end up having to remove some eventually.
About the only cichlid I can think of that I might consider as a tank mate for a rainbow in a 30 gal. is a kribensis. IME, both kribs and rainbows were not very aggressive when they bred, nor demanding of much space, though many people have reported there breeding kribs to be fairly aggressive. I guess safer would be to stock only female kribs.
An angelfish is a cichlid. I doubt many will consider a 10 gal. as sufficient space for an angelfish. Plus some chance of eating the guppies, at least eventually. Apistos or tanganyikan shell dwellers might be suitable in a 10 gal.

#3 ·
Solid advice, I will look up those fish you suggested. Thank you! I do want all to be happy and healthy. After further research, i am figuring the Severum would be a poor choice, Ididn't realize they get so big!!! ANd if an angelfish would need more room, I will scratch that idea as well.

I have been avoiding getting more rainbows because, strangely, only one LFS in my area carries them and they are really really small compared to the guys I have now. They are less than an inch at the store and the ones I have now are between 2-3 inches at this point. Do you think the small size of new rainbows would be a problem (ie I don't want them to become dinner!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.