Cichlid Fish Forum banner

55G -A lot of options!!

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  abcdefghi 
#1 ·
About 2 weeks ago now my angelfish passed away from issues related to old age (he was 9+ years old). So, now I have a 55G that while it still has a handful of tetra's and corydoras is fairly empty looking. While I am not opposed to picking up a new angelfish, I would like to try something different. At the moment I have about a dozen tetra's (glowlight and january tetra's) and about 10 orange stripe corys. There are also 2 or 3 surviving kuhli loaches. I am looking for something that is going to be active, have personality, but also fit in well with the tank.

I am looking at pretty much anything, Blue Acara's look neat and was suggested to me on another forum. I suspect I could only keep a single in a 55G though? Looking at the cookie cutter stocking options I like the looks of Gymnogeophagus meridionalis which one of the options shows 5 of these with emporer tetras and 2 BN plecos. Would 5 of them work with my current stocking level? If I can get more than 1 Acara what is the maximum I could safely house? If only a single Acara are there any other smaller cichlids I could also put in the tank?

The tank is filtered with an Eheim 2215, planted tank with some driftwood but I am fine to add rocks for any cichlids. Pretty open to suggestions, I have 2 fairly good LFS close by so hopefully can find anything there. Discus are out due to temperature requirements.

Thanks.

See less See more
#3 ·
I was surprised no one answered, but oh well. I did in fact make a decision, I did not get the Acara simply because as you wrote it would likely eat the tetras. So, in the end I decided on 6 GBR's, pretty certain I ended up with 3M and 3F and they have been doing fine. 2 of them dug a little pit in the substrate a couple times, but I don't believe anything ever came of it. They are far more social and active at more levels of the tank than rams I have had in the past.

I do somewhat miss having a larger fish in there, but it is very neat watching a bunch of smaller fish interacting.

#5 ·
Neat, I actually have a few bleeding heart tetras in the tank now and they are really cool. Funny how the GBR's are smaller than some of the larger bleeding heart's. I kind of miss having an angel though and can definitely see myself getting another at some point.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.