Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Salvini Cichlids Hiding

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  BC in SK 
#1 ·
I've had a couple of juvenile Salvini Cichlids for about a week. The are about 1.5" in length and in a tank by themselves. They seem to hide alot. All water parameters are normal. They are good eaters. I was just wondering if this is normal behavior for Salvinis??

Thanks!

#4 ·
greenterror85 said:
in a tank by themselves. I was just wondering if this is normal behavior for Salvinis?
NO, it is not 'normal' behavior for salvinis! If they are comfortable and established, they should be out and about.
Had this species for over 14 years now. In my tanks, they spend very little time hiding and spend no more time under shelter then most other CA will. But they need tank mates to feel comfortable!
It's common for salvini to hide and be scared when they are kept under conditions they are not comfortable in. Once in awhile it is fine for fish to get scared (it's just part of surviving). But if a fish hides and stays scared 24/7, it's definitely going to lead to problems. If it continues, the fish probably won't develop and may end up getting disease.
I would suggest getting some tank mates. Even a group of giant danios would likely help, though they may end up getting eaten eventually. Some other cichlids that they can interact with, would probably go even further. IMO, long term, mbuna make the better tank mates for salvini.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.