Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Cryptoheros Nanoluteus Breeding...

24K views 101 replies 12 participants last post by  monisaab 
#1 ·
Can I separate a pair of Cryptoheros Nanoluteus and put them in a 10G to try and breed them???

#3 ·
ok... thanks Fogelhund...

I asked coz I have bred cons in a 10G and I thought these (Cryptoheros Nanoluteus) are milder then cons so would not have any real aggression issues with these...

#6 ·
For a young pair, a 10 is more than adequate. This species does not need a lot of space. I had them breed in a 10 with another pair and an extra male in the tank, and they did not have any problems. They are a very mild mannered species. However, as they grow, then yes, more space would be required, but even as fully grown adults, a 24" (15 or 20high)tank is plenty. Few people have actual experience with this species, which is a shame.

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, I've been reading from computers where I could not log on (work! :wink: ).

#8 ·
thnks ChromeDome52...

They'll be going in the 10 G today...

Will keep you all posted...

Thanks again everyone for your inputs...

#9 ·
A few pics of the pair... not as nice pics as Chromedome's pics though... looks as if I'll have to buy a DSLR and stop using my cell for the pics...

#11 ·
Yeah if they're a young pair, and they're already paired/are not very aggressive, you can do it easily in a 10G. In fact ime it's better because they'll have less choices of breeding spots and so they'll settle for one faster. But it really is best if they're an established pair. This must be assuming they're only there to breed, and they're small enough! Putting a pair of large fish in a small tank for an extended period of time is just wrong!

Although given that they're C. nanoluteus, size doesn't really matter that much in this case. XD

#12 ·
they've settled down well in the tank and the female is now displaying an intense yellow color with dark nose and ear part on the head...

as for settling they have shown no interest whatsoever in the 2 pots that were in the tank and instead have settled under a rock...

#14 ·
I thought I had mentioned somewhere that the females like tight spots for the eggs. The wigglers in the flowerpot were moved there after they hatched, she actually spawned under a 3" wide by 1.5" high piece of broken flowerpot base, and she piled up gravel at the opening as well. The extra flowerpots will give them places to move the wigglers around and keep them well protected.

Watch for her staying under the rock all the time, from the color description she should be really close to spawning. Good luck!

#15 ·
Yes they are under a rock that had fallen when I was transferring them to the tank... its one side is on a small piece of driftwood and is only over an inch high...

keeping my fingers crossed...

#23 ·
Congratulations! :thumb: =D> I am surprised that she laid in the pot, but fish are individuals, and will do what they want! :roll:

As for the male not staying near the spawn, his job is territorial patrol. He watches the borders of the territory for potential invaders, so as to keep them from finding the eggs. Of course, when there's only the two fish in the tank, he's not very busy. Some species have trouble with this, and Papa needs something to flare at so that he doesn't get ornery with Mama. However, my experience was that the male Nano isn't that aggressive, so there shouldn't be any such problems.

Well done, raise them up and spread them about. Or as I used to say, "Breed 'em and seed 'em!" Just remember to keep a group of youngsters for your next generation of breeders; that was my mistake, and I had to obtain new stock from someone else.

#24 ·
thanks Azedenkae... am keeping my fingers crossed...

You are right Chromedome52... the amount of time they spent under that rock made me think thats where they will lay eggs but when I woke up yesterday morning there she was in the pot with the eggs...

Do I need to get BBS for the fry or will they take Hikari first bites and Repashy???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.