Cichlid Fish Forum banner

best way to sex a jack dempsey?

49K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  lbgargoyle 
#1 ·
I am wondering what the best way of sexing a jd is apart from venting. I am wanting to get another jd for my 70gallon but i dont know how to sex it at the lfs. please help.

#6 ·
I use the gill plate coloring to sex as well. Some females are more colorful than others. This is one of my females.

#10 ·
Try feed small amounts twice daily rather than one big feeding. If she knows food is always available she will know food will be available for the fry. I was told this a year ago and it seems to work. Also make sure she has a flat surface to lay eggs on (mine likes a one slate piece I have). Hope thar helps you!

#18 ·
I have 2 Jack Demseys. I had to separate them because they started lip locking & got very aggressive about it. I originally put a divider in my 75gal tank but they would dig & bash at it & knock it down. So I now have them in different tanks. When they were together they did lay eggs but none since they have been separated. If they are male & female should I just let them hash it out or should I keep them separate?? It does not matter to me if they have babies or not. But I did like having more than 1 fish in my main tank :) They both look like females to me but they are my first fresh water fish. Here is one of the fish if someone could tell me what sex it is? Thank You for any help.

Attachments

#20 ·
lbgargoyle said:
I have 2 Jack Demseys. I had to separate them because they started lip locking & got very aggressive about it. I originally put a divider in my 75gal tank but they would dig & bash at it & knock it down. So I now have them in different tanks. When they were together they did lay eggs but none since they have been separated. If they are male & female should I just let them hash it out or should I keep them separate?? It does not matter to me if they have babies or not. But I did like having more than 1 fish in my main tank :) They both look like females to me but they are my first fresh water fish. Here is one of the fish if someone could tell me what sex it is? Thank You for any help.
This one looks like a female to me. All the color on the gill plate, the head shape, not as much color on the body...reminds me of my female.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.