Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Will my convicts spawn?

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  cage623 
#1 ·
I have two convicts in my aquarium currently and I know it is as easy as having the two together, but my male is roughly half the size of the female. She has laid one batch of eggs that ended up going unfertilized and all she seems to do is chase the male off. He seems to have no interest what so ever with her. She is roughly 2" and he is approx. 1" (maybe a bit bigger), could it be that he is just too young to young to spawn?

#2 ·
Normally Cons are ready to spawn within 3-6 months of being born and since he is about 1 Inch I would say he is around the age where he could. When it comes to Most Cons the 1st few batches don't work its not the fishes fault its just their inexperience and eventually they will get it down, Timing will be perfect but since your Male is smaller than your female you may want to beef him up that way he wont back down and he will be pestering her to breed instead of getting chased off.

#3 ·
Is there any possible way you can separate them for a bit? Often times, females will not find smaller males as acceptable breeding partners. They chase eachother and fight to "test" eachother to ensure they are fit to defend the nest and fry. Males grow at a pretty quick rate, so I'd probably separate them until your male is as big or a bit bigger then your female then re-introduce them.

#4 ·
Thanks for the information and the tips. I currently only have one tank (apart from my son's 20g that has some platy's in it) so I wouldn't really be able to separate them. Now that the females eggs have gone unfertilized she currently isn't being protective of the pot she had them in and is more or less getting along with the other fish, maybe this will help them build their bond.

I guess it is only a matter of time.

#7 ·
Heard this before on here with people that have females that are much larger than the male, and your is still very young yet. I would say wait it out. I know it is concerning when cons don't spawn right away when they have the reputation of being able to spawn in a dixie cup. But you need to just give it time. I am guessing you will have more luck when the male gets closer to the females size, which shouldn't take too long. Good luck.

-Cage

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.