Central American Cichlids • Electric Blue Convict?

Discussion regarding only Central American Cichlid species. (Guapotes, Jack Dempseys, Red Devils, Firemouths, Convicts, Texas Cichlids, etc.)

Moderators: CjCichlid, Iggy Newcastle

Postby Lancerlot » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:51 pm

The fish guy. My male used to look like that, Actually all the convict cichlids here in Sudbury all had the Tales like that. Well the males did. I thought it was normal

but here's the interesting part. 1/100 000 fry of those fish will produce a 100% black convict cichlid. I've come across 3 in the 8 years of i've been keeping fish. but cause Of our city everybody thought it was normal. If I or others had known we would have taken pictures.

When the LFs got hold of one it went for 100dollors lol. they had 1-3 of them a year.

so heads up you got a good chance at getting a black beauty.
This is the only picture I had of him and hes in the flash. Wasn't really trying to get a picture of the fish them selves( feels like the pictures of aliens. Their there. but not in focus. SO how do you know its real? lol). but yeah you can see the tail and abnormal blackness. GL
Everybody will say its a hybrid. but as you know from spawning. and as I know. Its not true.
Lancerlot

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Trevor55 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:21 pm

Very interesting!
Trevor55

Postby TheFishGuy » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:16 am

Oh... I don't think he's worth anything really... He was a rescue...
TheFishGuy

Postby Trevor55 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:23 am

But he is very pretty! I like how dark he is! i am getting convicts soon again! Just looking for some nice ones....
Trevor55

Postby Trevor55 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:51 pm

TheFishGuy wrote:Bill, I would be more than happy to tell you the secrete of my "electric blue" convicts.

I had a pink male (A) spawn with a grey female (B).

Their daughter (C) spawned with the pink male (A)

The ending result was this:

Male

Female

She has now spawned with a new male convict (D)

And one of their grey daughters (E) will be spawned back to the new male convict (D)

Incidently their spawn was 50/50 grey/pink. :)

Sorry to cause such a ruckus, but there's absolutely no way anyone could tell for sure if your convict has any HRP in it or not. DNA tests would be the ONLY way to know for sure. I've been accused of crossing HRP with my convicts to get the blue in them, but the fact is the original male and female (A,B) are a result of about 6-7 generations of pink and grey convicts that have been raised here. I've got a thing for convicts if you can't tell. While I do have HRPs here they are all too young to spawn. Actually I've got two variants of HRPs. Ones that in my eyes look exactly like convicts and ones that look nothing like convicts. They don't even act like convicts, so much so that if I tried to cross them my fear would be they would get killed... I always have convicts for raising live food for my other fish. They will be a fish that will always occupy atleat two or three tanks in the fish room.

Also! Daughter (C) who's getting up in age by the way, has a daughter who has just spawned with a viel tail convict. The fry have been free swimming for a week or so now... I can't wait to see how they turn out!

She's still in breeding dress but you can see some of her color in these pics. These were taken this morning right after the fishroom lights were turned on:

OMG, Sorry Bill... I didn't mean to take over :oops:

And how does that get them blue? I dont understand. HOw does corssing a grey with a pick and the daughter back to the dad give you blue cons? i dont understand how that works?
Trevor55

Postby gage » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:23 pm

I would assume it has something to do with the recessive trait of the pink convict

or who knows, maybe they used Leucistic HRP's to get that gene into convicts :P
gage

Postby dwarfpike » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:24 pm

Could have just been a blue strain of covicts. There are several wild races that have massive blue.
dwarfpike

Postby Trevor55 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:53 pm

I dont know lol. I have always wanted bluer cons. . . Does any even sell wilds? that arent expensive? Because i dont have alot to invest in with cons.
Trevor55

Postby dwarfpike » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:43 pm

Yes, both Jeff Rapps and Ken Davis sell wilds and yes, they are more expensive than normal cons. Well worth it I think for pure fish.
dwarfpike

Postby Chromedome52 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:53 pm

Trevor55 wrote:I dont know lol. I have always wanted bluer cons. . . Does any even sell wilds? that arent expensive? Because i dont have alot to invest in with cons.

Back in the 1980s, a fellow named Dan Fromm brought some colorful wild Convict populations back from various parts of Central America. Naturally they spawned, and a few people asked him about getting some of the breeders. His price then was $100 per pair. The reaction was, to say the least, shock; "They're just convicts, how can you charge that for them?"

His reply is classic: "If you don't like my price, then go collect them yourself. I'll even give you the exact location." Of course, back then it cost a lot more to go get them, but it is still true that anyone who spends the money to go collect wild populations and keep them clean deserves to get more for these than the junk that you get at the LFS. I only wish I could afford to go collect my own, so I am appreciative of the effort and expense undertaken by those who do.

That said, there are at least a couple of people who do sell young of various wild populations that they collected (for a lot less than $100 pr.!). Check Aquabid, there are a couple regularly listed there with pictures (I hope this passes forum rules, as I did not mention anyone specific). They are a bit more than you will spend at the Box stores, but the colors are far more impressive, even on F1 and F2 fish. And it turns out that the fish we always thought of as "Convicts" are actually multiple species. So if you want some "really blue Convicts" from wild types, they are most assuredly available. And to be honest, they're still a lot cheaper than most of the big CA species.
Whenever something seems too good to be true I find it's best to shoot it, just in case. - Fiona Glenanne on Burn Notice
Chromedome52

Postby TheFishGuy » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:59 pm

I have no idea why they turned so blue after that process... The original female (B) was not blue at all.
TheFishGuy

Postby bntbrl » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:23 pm

Perhaps it was a trait from past ancestry. Maybe a fluke color, or maybe something from something else being bred into them at one time?
bntbrl

Postby TheFishGuy » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:34 pm

Well, I'm going to do it again to see if I get the same results...
TheFishGuy

Postby Diaster » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:36 pm

This thread makes me want to make my 50g into a Convict heaven as my old male is the only guy in there "just set it up today" Te funny thing about his coloration is he is always a very dark color even when breeding but his young always had a lot of white.
Stay away from the voodoo
Diaster

Postby Leucistic Guy » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:15 pm

I have 2 broods of pinks from 2 spawns, maybe I'll try TFG's method to try my luck.
I have a few young pinks with real nice colors in the fins too.
(My cons are around for live snacks as well. :oops: )
It's be nice if I could get some blues too.
Now I need to find a nice gray or two.

Do you think this would work if I tried crossing both of my "Pinks parents"?

Soory for the hijack.

TheFishGuy wrote:Bill, I would be more than happy to tell you the secrete of my "electric blue" convicts.

I had a pink male (A) spawn with a grey female (B).

Their daughter (C) spawned with the pink male (A)

The ending result was this:

Male

Female

She has now spawned with a new male convict (D)

And one of their grey daughters (E) will be spawned back to the new male convict (D)

Incidently their spawn was 50/50 grey/pink. :)

Sorry to cause such a ruckus, but there's absolutely no way anyone could tell for sure if your convict has any HRP in it or not. DNA tests would be the ONLY way to know for sure. I've been accused of crossing HRP with my convicts to get the blue in them, but the fact is the original male and female (A,B) are a result of about 6-7 generations of pink and grey convicts that have been raised here. I've got a thing for convicts if you can't tell. While I do have HRPs here they are all too young to spawn. Actually I've got two variants of HRPs. Ones that in my eyes look exactly like convicts and ones that look nothing like convicts. They don't even act like convicts, so much so that if I tried to cross them my fear would be they would get killed... I always have convicts for raising live food for my other fish. They will be a fish that will always occupy atleat two or three tanks in the fish room.

Also! Daughter (C) who's getting up in age by the way, has a daughter who has just spawned with a viel tail convict. The fry have been free swimming for a week or so now... I can't wait to see how they turn out!

She's still in breeding dress but you can see some of her color in these pics. These were taken this morning right after the fishroom lights were turned on:

OMG, Sorry Bill... I didn't mean to take over :oops:
Leucistic Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Central American Cichlids