Cichlid Fish Forum banner

yellow tailed and barred convict

9K views 37 replies 22 participants last post by  PirateCrash 
#1 ·
are they common?? instead of black barred i have 2 yellow barred convicts got them for free when i got 1 female black barred con

#4 ·
Are these it? Because this is the only yellow barred Convict I cant think of.

They are called Nano's. If this is your fish than they are definately not common.

#15 ·
Looks like a normal con to me...they can have quite a variation of colors depending on mood and environment
I 2nd that! I think he looks awesome! Just not a fan of the light coloration! I perfer the regular Convicts!

#18 ·
*** never seen those Nano cons either, but Im new in the hobby and to this site. Where can I get a nano con? Or even a yellow one???

#22 ·
I've never seen those Nano cons either, but Im new in the hobby and to this site. Where can I get a nano con? Or even a yellow one???
Nano's are their own species. But they are closely related to Convicts and are in the same family Archo or Crypto whichever you prefer. They call them Yellow Convicts because they look similar to Convicts and are closely related. I have seen them for sale on:

http://www.tangledupincichlids.com

#24 ·
rmcder said:
But the picture in the link doesn't look like nanoluteus. It looks like a con that has yellow where black should be. Isn't there a name for that situation - xanthic maybe?
I've seen convicts similar to this before, so this variety may be loosely tied to a geographic variant of a highly variable species. Like other cons, it's probably mood-dependent and it's surely capable of getting darker if not fully black-banded. Somewhere along the line certain breeders may have bred for this trait, leading to the yellow-barred fish pictured here. Who knows?

Regardless, it's a very interesting fish....and I'd be very interested in seeing it in breeding dress!

#26 ·
But the picture in the link doesn't look like nanoluteus. It looks like a con that has yellow where black should be. Isn't there a name for that situation - xanthic maybe?
Yes, I know. Conoholics cichlid is in fact a different color morph of Convicts. I didn't know what it looked like so I posted a picture of a Nano to see if it was the same fish. Obviously it wasn't. I just thought maybe it would be considering the title said yellow barred convict.

my sig list has changed ALOT i have all cons now 7 cons one pair has formed already
ALL in a 29 gal? :eek: Could you please tell us your current stocking and what all tanks are setup?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.