Central American Cichlids • Very Aggressive Jack Dempsey needs an algae eater

Discussion regarding only Central American Cichlid species. (Guapotes, Jack Dempseys, Red Devils, Firemouths, Convicts, Texas Cichlids, etc.)

Moderators: CjCichlid, Iggy Newcastle

Very Aggressive Jack Dempsey needs an algae eater

Postby Taybybaby » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:21 pm

Hello!
I have a 1 year old, extremely aggressive jack dempsey cichlid, hes such a beauty and I love him to death! I've had him since he was very very tiny and even as a young jack he tried to kill anything and everything that he could. But i had to keep the algae down so i bought a small algea eater when i bought him and he killed it. later, i bought a very large algae eater and once again, he killed it. about 3 months back, i took advice from a local cichlid breeder and bought 4 apple snails and just as i thought i had a solution, i uncovered 3 apple snail bodies today in his cave :( he doesnt eat what he kills, he just likes to kill them. the green algae in his tank is becoming a huge hastle, it doesnt come off no matter what i try and its growing and growing every day. HE NEEDS SOME FORM OF AN ALGAE EATER.. BAD. a local fish store suggested a synodontis catfish? but idk what to trust. any advice? please? :(

THANK YOU,
Taybra<3 :fish:
Taybybaby

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Very Aggressive Jack Dempsey needs an algae eater

Postby montellp » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:42 pm

How big is the tank
montellp

Postby catfish crazy joe » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:35 pm

I would try nerite snails. They may not be noticed as easily as the apple snails. I have nerite snails in my tank and they keep it spotless, though my tank doesn't have any agressive fish.
catfish crazy joe

Postby Taybybaby » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:15 pm

my tank is 45gal but within the next few months im going to get a bigger tank.
Taybybaby

Postby metricliman » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:34 pm

Synodontis catfish do not eat algae and they are from Lake Tanganyika in Africa. If he kills everything, why not just use coppersafe and kill the algae or limit the amount of light that is in the tank. Maybe you can add some fast growing plants that will compete with the algae for nutrients.
Guests, like fish, begin to smell after three days.

-Benjamin Franklin
metricliman

Postby defbored_usd » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:44 am

As it was already said, limit the light in the tank.

Just scrub the algae off. Takes all of five minutes to do.
defbored_usd

Postby OneFishTwoFish » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:00 pm

I'll second that synodontis catfish don't eat algae but its not true that all synos come from Tanganyika. About 1/4 of all African catfish are some syno species.

As for your question, could you set up a partition to create a safe zone for a pleco to go to work on? You could move the partition around to get other areas cleaned. Just a thought.

Mike
"In our study of natural objects we are approaching the thoughts of the Creator, reading his conceptions, interpreting a system that is His and not ours." -Louis Agassiz

Check out my site:
http://mike-home.no-ip.org/aquapics
OneFishTwoFish

Return to Central American Cichlids