Central American Cichlids • Polypterus Senegalus a cichlid eye eater?

Discussion regarding only Central American Cichlid species. (Guapotes, Jack Dempseys, Red Devils, Firemouths, Convicts, Texas Cichlids, etc.)

Moderators: CjCichlid, Iggy Newcastle

Polypterus Senegalus a cichlid eye eater?

Postby Zombie Cichlid » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:21 pm

Hello,
I've heard that Polypterus Senegalus are eye eaters and that concerned me 'cause i keep 2 in my cichlid tank.
Can somebody tell me if this is true? Have anybody seen that? Should i remove them both from the tank?
Thanks a lot.
Zombie Cichlid

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Polypterus Senegalus a cichlid eye eater?

Postby Chromedome52 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:16 am

First, Polypterus are not Cichlids. Second, they are African fish, not american. If you are keeping them with American Cichlids, I'd be more worried for the Polypterus than the Cichlids. I've not heard of them biting eyes, but perhaps you have it backwards, as I could see where Cichlids might take out the eyes of the slower moving Senegal.
Whenever something seems too good to be true I find it's best to shoot it, just in case. - Fiona Glenanne on Burn Notice
Chromedome52

Postby CaCichilds » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:58 am

as far as EYE know, they are not.

as chrome said big CA's will tare most up. It's based on the fish, and mind you a big Poly can eat a Ram, Angel, ect so if thats what you're keeping then watch out.

I have a 3" senegalus with my pair of shell dwellers, the shellies peck at it sometimes but thats it. I had tetras but the poly ate them.

I do have a big Ornate which does fine with my Red Tiger Mota. I feel they mesh because both are more predatory species. Neither are out and about all the time calling extra attention to themselves. They actually hunt similar too, which is a oddity in itself also the Ornate is 2x the size of the Mota.

It really depends on the fish and species, like most amphilophus aren't as welcoming. since they just always are roaming and swimming they constant spot them, and well, they what they do.
CaCichilds

Postby Zombie Cichlid » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:49 pm

"as far as EYE know, they are not" was awesome. hahahaha.
I know they are from Senegal, Africa and of course they are not cichlids. I have a mixed tank.
I'm new to the forum but old to cichlids, i've been keeping them for several years now.
I have had the Polypterus since 1 year, they are 8" inches now and they have never harmed anybody, but the guy at my LFS told me that he saw a Polypterus Senegalus eat the eye of a cichlid in front of him, he even showed me the fish that got his eye eaten. Now, i'm not sure what to think.
The CA SA that i keep with the Polypterus are not the aggressive type, they are more peaceful, like Geophagus.
Well, so far so good, they have been together for over a year now.
Thanks for the answers.
If anybody have ever had a bad experience with a polypterus senegalus, please share it.
225 Gallons - Zombie Cichlid
Electric Blue Jack Dempsey, Red Severums
Hybrid Green Terror/Severum, Hybrid Texas/Flowerhorn
Jurupari, Bichirs, Reedfishes, Loach, Raphaels, Plecos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZikJgPTvV4g
Zombie Cichlid

Postby CaCichilds » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:40 am

I think you're safe.

They are wild predatory fish, anything can attack another.
For example, my Giraffe Catfish, ate my blue channels eye.. Who knows how or why. But it did, and Giraffe Cat are supposedly peacefull.

It is possible the Senegalus due to it being much, much, more of a swimmer than a Delhizi or Ornate per say is prone to bumping into fish more, thus it's sensor barb notice something and it bites. My Ornate maybe 10" long sits motionless till something brushes by its face, and then just like an alligator, it snaps it up and thrashes it's head.

But with Geo's I think you're fine unless they are way smaller than your Senegalus, or if you have dithers, they might not be.
CaCichilds

Postby Zombie Cichlid » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:46 pm

Thanks CaCichlids.
They are all at the same size since i've been keeping them together for a while.
Here's a video of my fish tank: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhT4-QbmCgo
Tell me what you think.
225 Gallons - Zombie Cichlid
Electric Blue Jack Dempsey, Red Severums
Hybrid Green Terror/Severum, Hybrid Texas/Flowerhorn
Jurupari, Bichirs, Reedfishes, Loach, Raphaels, Plecos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZikJgPTvV4g
Zombie Cichlid

Return to Central American Cichlids