Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species • Chromidotilapia kingsleyae spawn

Discussion regarding only Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species.

Moderators: StructureGuy, samaki

Chromidotilapia kingsleyae spawn

Postby Mr Chromedome » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:33 pm

After two years, they finally started breeding a few weeks ago. First spawn I did not save, but the female carried for 3-4 days, so I"m sure they were fertile. Yesterday (Friday) they were at it again, this time I was prepared with the camera and got a nice sequence of spawning shots. The one below is just a tease showing both fish nicely, with eggs. This species lays an entire plaque of eggs, then the female picks them all up at once to mouthbrood them. I thought all Chromidotilapia were biparental, but this male apparently doesn't agree; he chases her off to a hiding place as soon as they are done.

Oops, can't link from cichlidae.com. Too bad this site doesn't host attachments like everybody else does these days. I don't like to put pictures on hosting sites, too much hassle.
Happiness may be the door to Heaven, but Pleasure is not the Key. - attributed to Confucius
Mr Chromedome

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Chromidotilapia kingsleyae spawn

Postby snorkel3 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:12 pm

Here is the link (I hope it works) for those not members of cichlidae. If this isn't OK with you, let me know.
snorkel3

Postby Mr Chromedome » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:39 pm

Thanks!
Happiness may be the door to Heaven, but Pleasure is not the Key. - attributed to Confucius
Mr Chromedome

Postby james1983 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:33 am

That's a pretty nice looking fish, I've never seen or heard of them before. Congrats on the eggs. Hopefully everything goes good and you end up with some fry.
james1983

Return to Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species