Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species • Etroplus canarensis

Discussion regarding only Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species.

Moderators: StructureGuy, samaki

Etroplus canarensis

Postby 679x » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:53 pm

Looking for someone who can give me information about this beautiful fish.

I have another thread open where I mentioned I came across this species, but I've decided to just make a new thread about it. On one hand, I don't want to flood the forums with all these different threads. But on the other hand, I imagine I could get more information about a question/topic if it has an accurate title and has separate threads for separate questions.

There is info about the species online but I mainly want to know whether it is something I should pursue. I'm not an expert at fishkeeping. I've only REALLY gotten into the hobby about half a year ago. However, there's still maybe a year's time before I will get another tank but I'm quite enjoying planning it out now and researching all the different species I could get.

They seem to be rare, so I'd have to find a place to get them and an appropriate price in Canada.

If anyone can tell me whether this fish is difficult to keep or not, so that I don't end up spending lots of time/money obtaining this species only to find out that I can't keep them from dying. I can do water changes as often as required, and I'm willing to set up a tank to cater to their needs. I'd probably keep them with species from the same area as a biotope, but I could always have just a large group of them as a species-only tank if needed.

If anyone has any good info about this fish, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Edit: just realized there's actually a forum section for Asian species of cichlid. Gonna request someone move this thread for me :)
75 gallon: Tropheus Ikola, Julidochromis transcriptus, Synodontis petricola
20 gallon long: Neolamprologus multifasciatus
679x

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Etroplus canarensis

Postby Mr Chromedome » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:43 pm

http://www.cichlidae.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=25&sid=42adbff0eba4f69dc1b94388f5019b8c There are several threads here about the species, Jim Cummings, who is a Canadian, has been breeding the daylights out of them.
Happiness may be the door to Heaven, but Pleasure is not the Key. - attributed to Confucius
Mr Chromedome

Postby 679x » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:28 pm

Yeah, I've been watching a bunch of his videos today while trying to learn about the species, lol.

On a forum (can't remember which one) I read about how people kept E. canarensis just fine for months, but then they suddenly died off. Is there a known reason for this? Can it be prevented? Or was it not related to the species (perhaps water quality issue?)

Should I be worried about this species dying often, or are they generally easy to keep alive?
679x

Postby Mr Chromedome » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:53 pm

The species is not common enough yet to make any kind of generalizations. They are also not cheap when you do find them.
Happiness may be the door to Heaven, but Pleasure is not the Key. - attributed to Confucius
Mr Chromedome

Postby 679x » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:28 pm

Jim Cummings says he's selling some. I'm going to be setting up a new tank in maybe around a year, so by that time perhaps there will be more information about the species, and maybe they'll be cheaper, who knows? Also: $16 USD ($21 CAD) each, good deal or no? Just out of curiousity, I wouldn't be getting them yet anyway.
679x

Postby Mr Chromedome » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:34 pm

Price is a steal, last time I saw some on Aquabid they were much, much higher.
Mr Chromedome

Postby 679x » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:32 pm

Good to know! When my tank is set up I'll just have to hope I can find them for the same price or cheaper. Thanks for the help :)
679x

Return to Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species