Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species • Tenk devoted to Lake Victory Cichlids

Discussion regarding only Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species.

Moderators: StructureGuy, samaki

Tenk devoted to Lake Victory Cichlids

Postby DailyBuzz420 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:23 pm

I am going to buy a 75 gallon tank and was planning on devoting it to lack victoria cichlids , At first i was going to add 1 male 2-3 females of each type but as i have been reading they may cross breed and make hybirds ( which is frowned apon ) therefore i think i will just make it a male tank . i also think i may try to mix haps in and may throw in a jewel . In your opinions what types of lake vic cichlids would work well together vs one that will not work together . Remember it's going to be a male only tank . i am just asking this question before i make a stocking mistake that could have been avoided by asking more knowledgeable people . I may also add a lemon jack to it . I have a mixed 55 gallon tank now ( lemon Jack may go in the mixed tank ), a 30 gallon tank and a 28 gallon tank . 30 gallon has one hugs OB zebra male ( who is very aggressive , he is a serial killer ) , the 28 gallon tank has one Jumbo Angel ( the angel was to timid to be put in any of my other tanks )
May Dagon ( The Fish God ) guide me to a viable selection of fish ;-)
DailyBuzz420

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Tenk devoted to Lake Victory Cichlids

Postby DJRansome » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:46 pm

Victorian males tend not to color up extremely well without females. I have tried a couple with haps and peacocks, but removed the Victorians.
Flameback
Latifasciata
Nyererei

I really like them best in a species tank...my favorite nyererei is quite aggressive.
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Petricola
55G Chrysonotus; 38G Demasoni
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Maingano; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby DailyBuzz420 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:29 pm

Humm you gave me more to think about LoL . I am in the process of building a 75 gallon tank into a Glass topped coffee table . By reading what you posted i have a fairly good idea . I am thinking of partitioning the tank with plexiglass with small holes drilled in it to allow for water circulation but stop the different species from mixing in order to avoid hybirds . Humm i like that idea , maybee 3 partitioning housing 3 different species , the dimensions of each partitioning would be 16l x 18w x 20 h . maybee 2 males and 2 females per species per each partitioning . What do you think would be a good number of fish and sex per each partitioning . Right now i have 1 55 gallon tank of mixed chichlids , 1 tank 35 gallon 1 huge ob zebra male , and another 20 g tank with one large angle . The ob and angel where giving to me via a friend , The ob was killing their other fish and the angel was being harrased be everyone , Right now the ob n angle have their own tank LoL . At this time i am taking it slow so i can build the right tank to house the right fish hence why i have so many stupid questions but i prefer to ask many questions in order to make the right choices . thx for you time and advice
DailyBuzz420

Postby DJRansome » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:14 pm

Once you partition the tank...the fish you stock would need to be comfortable in a tank the size of the partition. I don't think there are too many fish that would be happy with 2m:2f in 16" x 18". Victorians and Malawi tend to be harem breeders that like 1m:4f in a 30x12 space as a minimum and limited to the small, peaceful species.
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Petricola
55G Chrysonotus; 38G Demasoni
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Maingano; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby DailyBuzz420 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:18 pm

ok thx for the reply , with that being said i just may have to split the tank in half only 2 parts which would be 24 x 18w x 20 deep . not sure how or what i will do yet , may just end up doing an all male tank with no parts , just 48 x 18 x 20 , Humm now u have me thinking of buying a bigger tank lol , but do i have enough space for a bigger tank , would have to throw out a couch n move my cpu desk LoL . thinking thinking lol
DailyBuzz420

Return to Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species