Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species • Nyererei Red Tops

Discussion regarding only Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species.

Moderators: StructureGuy, samaki

Nyererei Red Tops

Postby mbargas » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:00 am

My Nyerereis are now about 2-3 inches and are showing orange and red coloration on top, but it is limited to the front half. They are well fed and getting astaxanthin supplements.

Should I expect the rest of their top to color up soon? How long should it take?

I will try to post a picture when I get a chance.
mbargas

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Nyererei Red Tops

Postby mbargas » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:27 am

mbargas

Postby King Kyoga » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:56 pm

Nope because you got a hybrid
King Kyoga

Postby mbargas » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:22 am

King Kyoga wrote:Nope because you got a hybrid

How do you know that it is a hybrid?
mbargas

Postby DJRansome » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:45 pm

Was it sold with a scientific name and collection point? Not all hybrids are sold with marketing names like "Nyererei Red Top" but it's hard to be sure you are getting a pure fish if it is sold without an accurate name.
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Petricola
55G Chrysonotus, Labs; 38G Turkis
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Tetrastigma; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby samaki » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:38 am

Hi yes it's an hybrid because of the marking of the females, the morphology of the male, i will not be surprised to hear that some thick skin have been mixed in that fish(due to the female form and barring)
not make it spawn to spread this hybrid.
musy o tunya the water sounds like thunder

vics pix
http://photobucket.com/albums/d163/Issa-samaki/
samaki

Postby mbargas » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:29 pm

DJRansome wrote:Was it sold with a scientific name and collection point? Not all hybrids are sold with marketing names like "Nyererei Red Top" but it's hard to be sure you are getting a pure fish if it is sold without an accurate name.

I should clarify my original post. It was not sold as 'nyererei red top'. That was just my own terminology to address the characteristic redness on the dorsal side of nyerereis. I am now less concerned about the lack of redness that I noted earlier. Below is an updated picture of the fish which clearly shows a greater extension of the dorsal redness.

mbargas

Postby mbargas » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:34 pm

mbargas

Postby mbargas » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:38 pm

DJRansome wrote:Was it sold with a scientific name and collection point? Not all hybrids are sold with marketing names like "Nyererei Red Top" but it's hard to be sure you are getting a pure fish if it is sold without an accurate name.

It was sold as Pundamilia nyererei, no collection point. I suspect it is Makobe, but that's just my guess.
mbargas

Postby mbargas » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:45 pm

samaki wrote:Hi yes it's an hybrid because of the marking of the females, the morphology of the male, i will not be surprised to hear that some thick skin have been mixed in that fish(due to the female form and barring)
not make it spawn to spread this hybrid.

If you mean the markings of the fish on the upper left, that's actually an immature male Pundamilia 'Red Flank', which has subsequently colored up somewhat. I agree that it looks a lot like a thick skin (sp 44)
mbargas

Postby mbargas » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:15 pm

Here's an updated pic of the immature red flank
mbargas

Postby samaki » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:42 am

Hi yur red flank is an hybrid for sure.. if yu have no collection point about yur nyererei then.. it's useless to try to id it as many variants have been mixed in the trade..yu can have a mix of two population.. red top isn't a good indication.. yu need to know the exact collection point
musy o tunya the water sounds like thunder

vics pix
http://photobucket.com/albums/d163/Issa-samaki/
samaki

Postby Howzit » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:41 pm

Hybrid or not, that's a good looking fish!
Howzit

Postby misterted » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:59 pm

It is a good looking fish and you should enjoy them as such. But in an effort to keep the hobby clear of not naturally occurring fish please let them live out their lives in your possession and don't sell or give away any fry.
265G Malawi Community Tank
misterted

Postby The Dude315 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:36 am

My Nyererei don't have the barring, but their colors change all the time. I had 4 males from the same batch. 1 went in my 75 with two females and 3 males went temporarily into my 150. The fish in the 75 looked vastly different than the ones in the 150. The 3 in the 150 took on a very deep dark red almost purple color where as the 1 in the 75 was bright bright red. The colors of the one remaining male in the 150 after I rehomed the others changed again when the two others were moved. It's color lightened, but is still no where near as vibrant as the 1 in the 75 with 2 females. Is the barring what is giving it away as a hybrid? It certainly can't he the color without knowing what it's status in the tank and what the other inhabitants consist of...
The Dude315

Next

Return to Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species