Lake Tanganyika Species • Multifasciatus pile of sand on shell

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

Multifasciatus pile of sand on shell

Postby joshuadouch » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:16 pm

Hey, im new here and new to multies, i was just wondering if the sand piled on top of the shell as anything to do with breeding? I read somewhere that it could be a sign of it. I've only had them for 2 weeks and there are only 1 pair in the tank after losing the other pair :( Its a 20G tank.
Also, any ideas why there is soooo much algae in the tank? There are loads of green patches already on the sand, I tested my nitrate and it was 50. I added a few plants to help lower the nitrate, but will that help?
Thanks!

Picture of the sand on the shell and algae.
joshuadouch

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Multifasciatus pile of sand on shell

Postby deeda1 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:27 pm

Welcome to C-F!!

Multies are very well known for moving the substrate around and like to redecorate almost daily but it is very possible they are thinking of breeding.

The green stuff you are seeing appears to be cyanobacteria, commonly called blue-green algae despite not actually being algae. Try to remove as much of it as possible by siphoning it off or catching any pieces with a very fine net. It is often suggested that it is caused by insufficient water flow and not by too much light or nutrients.

To get rid of the cyanobacteria there are a couple methods to try. One is to do a complete blackout for 7 days by covering the tank completely with a blanket so there is absolutely no light and the 2nd method is to use a medication such as erythromycin and just follow the package directions. I've use the brand Fish Mycin with excellent results and others swear by the blackout method.
deeda1

Postby joshuadouch » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:28 am

Great thanks, I have turned my filter flow up as it was on its lowest setting as i was worried the fish were getting blown around a bit. I will research the medication. Thanks!
joshuadouch

Postby nodima » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:47 am

Something is amiss if you have a 20 gallon tank, with 4 fish and high nitrates - is there a dead fish somewhere?

Getting the nitrates under control will certainly help with the algae problem.
180 gal - Tanganyikan community tank: Tropheus Bemba, Synodontis Petricola, Compressiceps

125gal - South American community: Geophagus, Acara, Angels, Severum, Festivum

75gal - Planted SA tank
nodima

Postby joshuadouch » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:14 am

The only fish that died in there has been removed. Upon testing the nitrates last night, they were 25. I have cleaned all I could but since most of it was on the shells I couldnt touch it, I did a 30% water change, turned the lights off and covered up most of the tank except for a small patch.
joshuadouch

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species