Lake Tanganyika Species • 55G species tank stock help!

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

55G species tank stock help!

Postby joeyk » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:34 am

I have a (standard 4') 55G tank in my fishroom that needs a revamp. It's currently a high tech planted tank, but that's just not something I'm enjoying anymore.

I recently got back into tanganyikans with two young colonies of shellies. N. multifasciatus and L. hecqui, which I'm not expecting spawns from for at least a few months. I've kept J. transcriptus, N. multifasciatus and T. duboisi in the past, so I have some experience keeping and breeding tanganyikans.

As much as I would like to do a community tank, open water tangs are priced too high locally for me to be able to justify (around $40 CAD each) and local breeders seem to be nonexistent. In addition, I cannot justify another shellie colony right now, and I don't really want to relocate one of the existing colonies either. I think a species tank will be my best bet.

The tank will be filtered by an AC70 and two fluval canister filters. Decorated with sand and feather rock. The grow out system will likely include 1-2 standard 20G tanks, and either a 40G breeder or (another) 55G

These are the species currently available to me locally:

Julidochromis (any)
A. calvus
N. brichardi
Leleupi
N. cylindricus

Which would have the highest fry survival rate?

Which would allow for the largest breeding colony?

Would love to hear some firsthand experiences.
joeyk

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: 55G species tank stock help!

Postby DJRansome » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:52 pm

Brichardi I think would be the only choice with a high fry survival rate and a lot of fish since fry of the original pair are tolerated at least until they start spawning.

Largest breeding colony? If you mean adult breeders with no fry survival in the tank, I would say calvus.

Leleupi and cylindricus I would think no fry survival and possibly just a pair of breeders.
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Petricola
55G Chrysonotus; 38G Demasoni
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Maingano; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Fogelhund » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:21 pm

Both Julidochromis and Neo. brichardi will tolerate fry from various spawns in their territory, at least to a certain size. In both cases, young rival males are likely to be killed eventually. In both cases, you could have large numbers of fry in the tank, for a good sized colony... N. brichardi will have larger spawns...
Fogelhund

Postby joeyk » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:32 pm

Fogelhund wrote:Both Julidochromis and Neo. brichardi will tolerate fry from various spawns in their territory, at least to a certain size. In both cases, young rival males are likely to be killed eventually. In both cases, you could have large numbers of fry in the tank, for a good sized colony... N. brichardi will have larger spawns...

DJRansome wrote:Brichardi I think would be the only choice with a high fry survival rate and a lot of fish since fry of the original pair are tolerated at least until they start spawning.

Largest breeding colony? If you mean adult breeders with no fry survival in the tank, I would say calvus.

Leleupi and cylindricus I would think no fry survival and possibly just a pair of breeders.

So it sounds like my options are narrowed down to Julidochromis and brichardi. I plan on removing most of the fry before they become a "threat" to territories in the tank. i would rather have a smaller number of adult fish and multiple juveniles, than a large number of adult breeders with no surviving juveniles.
joeyk

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species