Lake Tanganyika Species • Tank size/shape for Multies

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

Tank size/shape for Multies

Postby TurtleFish » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:30 pm

Hi,
I found an odd shaped tank that i thought might be perfect for a community of Neolamprologus multifasciatus but as i have never kept Cichlid's before i thought i had best check.
The tank is 35x9x10 inch so about 13.5G. yes i know its small but i need to keep the volume low
- Is this too shallow? the length would be good giving them more floor space.
- i would use a canister filter that does 140G/hr so ample filtration (too much??)

so considering the shape and filter what stocking density could i do? i was thinking 6 fish ??

any other problems i haven't seen with this shape?

Thanks
TurtleFish

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Tank size/shape for Multies

Postby deeda1 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:44 pm

Welcome to C-F!!

It sounds like a bookshelf tank with those dimensions. The 35" long sounds good, the 9" width isn't too horrible and the 10" height is fine but I do recommend using a lid on the tank to prevent jumpers.

The canister filter should be fine though you may want to consider using a spray bar to help spread the water flow throughout the tank. If the filter doesn't come with one, you may be able to DIY one yourself.

Six fish should be just fine to start though once they start breeding, you will need to thin the fish out to avoid overstocking so a 2nd tank to hold juveniles until you can sell them or decide on upgrading to a larger tank.
deeda1

Postby TurtleFish » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:05 pm

Thanks, what number of fish could i keep in it before i need do start thinning them do you think?
also do you think it could be a bit too dull of a tank? will they keep to just one end of the tank or split into different colonies so long as the shells are spread about?
TurtleFish

Postby deeda1 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:40 pm

The number of fish you can keep once they start breeding and getting larger will depend on a number of factors including water quality and competition for shells so it's difficult to generalize.

Multies do well with a lot of shells in the tank spread out across the bottom and it is often cited that in their natural environment, the shells stacked up quite deep.

They are also notorious for moving the sand substrate around quite extensively creating mounds of sand throughout the tank. I would use a minimal amount of sand, maybe 1/2" to 1" thick to reduce hills in the tank and buy enough shells to cover the tank bottom.

I don't think the tank will be dull once they start reproducing and the shorter height of the tank will probably let you see them more in the water column.
deeda1

Postby TurtleFish » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:22 pm

Thanks, I will do that !
TurtleFish

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species