Lake Tanganyika Species • tropheus and PH in a Continuous drip system

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

tropheus and PH in a Continuous drip system

Postby ebaybrad » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:27 am

I have a 210 gallon aquarium that runs on a continuous drip. The water goes through a 3 stage filter and then drips into the tank. It exits from the sum, which is drilled to my waste pipe.
I change as much water as I want, but have it set for 40g per day.

Question is, Obviously, modifying PH and maintaining salt levels is near impossible in this type of set up. I have tried with dosing pumps, but I found stability is better.

PH is 7.4.

I want to keet tank raised tropheus species in the tank. They ask for higher PH than my water provides. I have successfully kept DISCUS (which need lower ph) and peacocks (higher).

Any thoughts on weather this will be ok?

Any help would be appreciated.
ebaybrad

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: tropheus and PH in a Continuous drip system

Postby SomethingIsFishy » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:27 pm

Disclaimer: I haven't kept tropheus.

In my experience with other fish I have found that fish will do just fine in water that is outside their range as long as it is stable, and not extreme. I have also found tank raised fish in general to be more accepting of differing water parameters.

That being said, I would wait for others who have kept this species to comment before you decide if you want to try it or not...
SomethingIsFishy

Re: tropheus and PH in a Continuous drip system

Postby noddy » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:36 am

They should be fine if you have kept peacocks. I think Malawi and Tanganyika have roughly the same P.H.
Not sure what my P.H is, but I know it's lower than 8. Maybe 7.4-7.6, and I have kept and bred lots of Tropheus.
noddy

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species