Lake Tanganyika Species • Back to brichardi...

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

Back to brichardi...

Postby SomethingIsFishy » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:14 pm

Decided to go back to a species I had before and regretted getting rid of...

This time I'm using a 40 breeder, had a mixed community/planted tank- golden wonder killies, tetras, bristlenose. Traded them in and overhauled the scape and picked up a handful of juvenile n. Brichardi. The shop bagged a few tiny fish along with the 1-1.5 inch guys I bought, will have to see how that works out when I get a pair... I just hope I can catch the outcasts before they get killed, I know the shop will take them back...

Having a little trouble with pics at the moment, I gave up on photobucket a while ago, trying flickr but the pics don't show when I preview my post... I just get a little box with "image" in it...
SomethingIsFishy

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Back to brichardi...

Postby SomethingIsFishy » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:01 pm

Got it! Here's the setup, they're still pretty shy so I'm not gonna go too crazy trying to get pics of the fish, but did manage to get a shot of one of the tiny ones...

SomethingIsFishy

Postby easywolf31 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:42 pm

SomethingIsFishy wrote:Image

Got it! Here's the setup, they're still pretty shy so I'm not gonna go too crazy trying to get pics of the fish, but did manage to get a shot of one of the tiny ones...

Hey there, that's an awesome looking setup, really liking the rock selection, I've been looking for those colors and shapes for my Tanganyika species setup in a 140g. I liked the way you placed them. I have a Brichardi, Olivaceous and Daffodil, all Brichardi look alikes, really smart fish, the dominant one, which is the Brichardi, seems to hang in between the other 2 and they've kind of formed a tight gang chasing out passerbyers but not too agressively. Really nice choice, really like these ones, very smart fish.

Here's a nice picture I took yetserday, they just happened to come right in the front of the camera: (Front one is the Brichardi, other is the Olivaceous).

125G 8 CF.Kigomas, 7 G.Mpimbwe, 5 G.Moba
N.Leleupi, J.Marlieri, 1 J.Regani, J.Transcriptus
N. Daffodil, Blue Dolphin
140G CF.Burundi, Bue Dolphins, N. Leleupi
N. Brichardi, N.Olivaceous, J.Dickfieldi
60G Jewel, Green Texas
75G 2 Red Jewel Lifalili
easywolf31

Postby SomethingIsFishy » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:28 pm

Thanks! The flat rocks came from the local landscape company, and the "rounder" rocks are actually ceramic caves, I believe the brand is "cichlid stones", I will see if I can verify the brand name...

You certainly have some beautiful fish there, thanks for sharing the picture!
SomethingIsFishy

Postby easywolf31 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:15 am

SomethingIsFishy wrote:Thanks! The flat rocks came from the local landscape company, and the "rounder" rocks are actually ceramic caves, I believe the brand is "cichlid stones", I will see if I can verify the brand name...

You certainly have some beautiful fish there, thanks for sharing the picture!

Nice, I was looking for the Cichlid stone cave 10 or 15 pack from Underwater Galleries but can't find any up here in Canada so I ordered the circular ceramic stone caves. You have every hole pointed backwards than? I like these fish for the fact that they breed and remain a tight family that just keeps growing before you know it you will have a full community lol. Please post updates on this aquarium and on the Brichardis as they grow.
60G Jewel, Green Texas
75G 2 Red Jewel Lifalili
easywolf31

Postby SomethingIsFishy » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:03 pm

Yes, I have all of the holes turned towards the back, looks more natural to me...

I will definitely post updates regularly! They are starting to settle in, so I should be able to get some good pics soon...
SomethingIsFishy

Postby SomethingIsFishy » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:18 pm

I know how to get them to come out... feed them, hit record, and leave the room...
SomethingIsFishy

Postby Fogelhund » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:19 pm

Nice looking tank... but why all the different types, which will no doubt lead to a bunch of hybrids, and just a pair or two anyway?
Fogelhund

Postby easywolf31 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:12 am

Fogelhund wrote:Nice looking tank... but why all the different types, which will no doubt lead to a bunch of hybrids, and just a pair or two anyway?

Great aquarium! I can't tell what kind are the little ones? Do you have other types than just Brichardis? I realized I should not have put 3 types of Neolamp Brichardi types as they may interbreed, but I did my best to choose 3 beta males to try and adapt with your fronts, which they have so far perfectly. I hope they aren't forming a pair though, but what to do if that happens?

What kind of fish will an Olivaceous and Brichardi produce? A Pulcher type? Is it bad to interbreed these Cichlids?
60G Jewel, Green Texas
75G 2 Red Jewel Lifalili
easywolf31

Postby SomethingIsFishy » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:51 am

Mine are supposed to be all the same type. I think they may be the "overflow " from another fishkeeper's colony... They were sold as brichardi, but I wouldn't be upset if they turned out to be a different type...
SomethingIsFishy

Postby Fogelhund » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:10 am

Sorry, my intent was to address easywolf.. guess I kind of got lost here.

If you cross olivaceous (pulcher really), with brichardi, you get hybrids.... nothing more.

A big part of what makes these fish great, is when they do breed, and their behaviour. Honestly, I'd go out and just make sure that I've got all the same type, and enjoy them for how spectacular they can be.
Fogelhund

Postby SomethingIsFishy » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:38 pm

I thought you might have been talking about easywolf's fish, just wanted to make sure you didn't see something in my video that I missed...

Enjoying the colony is definitely my plan for this tank...
SomethingIsFishy

Postby Fogelhund » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:24 pm

SomethingIsFishy wrote:I thought you might have been talking about easywolf's fish, just wanted to make sure you didn't see something in my video that I missed...

Enjoying the colony is definitely my plan for this tank...

I didn't see anything with your fish, just to confirm.
Fogelhund

Postby SomethingIsFishy » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:34 pm

Thanks, Fogelhund!

Really enjoying these guys so far... can't wait till a pair forms...
SomethingIsFishy

Postby easywolf31 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:11 am

Wow. This video is amazing. What to do though when there is no more room? https://youtu.be/GL2llgSyWJE
60G Jewel, Green Texas
75G 2 Red Jewel Lifalili
easywolf31

Next

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species