Lake Tanganyika Species • Help! Tangs not adjusting to new tank upgrade

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

Help! Tangs not adjusting to new tank upgrade

Postby CharlestonCichlids » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:52 pm

Hi all. On Sunday, I broke down my 55gal and moved all my fish to their new 75 gal. The new tank is located a few rooms over from the 75 (the fish were out of the water for under 20 seconds and I moved the canister filter with them. The new tank is cycled and I moved a few fish on friday to make sure everything was fine. Those fish did fine. However, many of the fish moved on Sunday are not doing well. The params are fine ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 10-20. The water was identical to their previous tank. The 75 also has a large wet dry filter
Immediately the stress of moving all the rocks/decor in the 55 nearly killed one of my comps. It was very strange. He was healthy before but i guess the stress caused something to happen. Even before I netted him he went into rigor and would not swim but was still breathing. He is still in rigor and breathing (i am tempted to euthanize him). The two other comps and my three calvus are behaving strangely and not swimming all that well. I netted and moved them ask quickly as possible. One of the julies is also behaving weirdly and has confined himself under a rock. My more sensitive fish (paracyps and cyps) are all doing fine as well as the other fish. However, all the fish are not showing much interest in food.
Does anyone have any advice on how to proceed? Currently, I am performing a 20% water change with aged water. Would aquarium salt help? Any advice would be appreciated.
CharlestonCichlids

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Help! Tangs not adjusting to new tank upgrade

Postby CharlestonCichlids » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:07 pm

Well. it looks like out of calvus/comps only one is doing well. I have removed them from the new tank and placed them in the old tank. It is not looking good for them...
CharlestonCichlids

Postby Fogelhund » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:17 pm

I've seen Altos go into shock like that, but usually it is because Wild ones are sensitive to chlorine during a water change. Really, I don't have an answer as to what is happening, so I can't really give great advice. I just hope that it works out for you and the fish.
Fogelhund

Postby DJRansome » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:57 pm

Agree they can be more sensitive than other Africans to water. When you say aged water...do you mean from the 55G? This is one time when fresh water is not your friend.
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Petricola
55G Chrysonotus; 38G Demasoni
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Maingano; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby CharlestonCichlids » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:23 pm

Update: I had 2 F1 calvus die and all three TR comps die. One calvus survived (remained in the 75). Since the move, I also lost two julies and two cyps.. 9 fish total! As a precaution for some unknown contaminant, I added a bunch of active carbon to the sump and dosed with salt. All the remaining fish seem to have adjusted fine and are eating fine. Earlier this week (as another precaution), I removed the carbon and began treating the whole tank for internal parasites.

To clarify, when I referred to aged water I was referring to water that I put in a large trashcan with a heater prime and an airstone and let sit for 6-24 hours. In retrospect, I should have used old tank water from my 55 and moving the calvus/comps back to the old tank probably only stressed them more. None survived more than a few hours after the second move.

It has been a discouraging (and pricey) set back. Where I am from Tangs are tough to come and comps and calvus are probably my favorite tangs. It is frustrating because I wont know what I could have done to prevent it. The only theory I have is that they were stressed before the move due to a possible pathogen. However, only the julies exhibited any sort of classic symptoms (stringy poop).
Thanks for everyone's input.
CharlestonCichlids

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species