Lake Tanganyika Species • How much is too much?

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

How much is too much?

Postby pford65 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:35 pm

When it comes to circulation of water in the tank, how much is too much when raising Fronts? I've read on this site many times how you want anywhere from 8 to 10 x's/per hour the volume of your tank. For such a calm fish, this seems like a lot of current to be dealing with or am I just all wet?
pford65

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: How much is too much?

Postby nodima » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:37 pm

As a guideline that is ok to shoot for. In reality, after all the bends in tubing, head height, and decorations are overcome, it is probably less. They do like quieter water, but with returns spread out, the current can be dissipated well. When I kept my fronts, they were in a 150 which was filtered by a sump, with a Mag 12, and a HOB overflow Marineland SOS was the model. I'm pretty sure that overflow was limited to about 700 gph. I also had a Fluval 404 on that tank if I recall correctly. Together with water changes, that was enough to keep the tank for 10 years or so. So I was somewhere around 800 gph on a 150, or 5-6 x an hour.
180 gal - Tanganyikan community tank: Tropheus Bemba, Synodontis Petricola, Compressiceps

125gal - South American community: Geophagus, Acara, Angels, Severum, Festivum

75gal - Planted SA tank
nodima

Re: How much is too much?

Postby punman » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:51 pm

I use two Aqua Clear 110s on my 135 gallon frontosa tank. I have a powerhead I use 10 min. a week. I don't want too much current because of spawning. The ACs are fine though.
135 Gallon: Frontosa 5 Wild Caught Mpimbwe
90 Gallon: Cyrtocara moorii, Labidochromis caeruleus
90 Gallon: Cyprichromis Mamalesa, Enantiopus Kilesa
10 & 20 Gallon: Fry Tanks
Fish tanks - betcha can't have just one!
punman

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species