Lake Tanganyika Species • Building a Tang Tank: Input on dimensions/fish

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

Building a Tang Tank: Input on dimensions/fish

Postby travomars » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:13 pm

Hi everyone,

2 Questions, but a little background first.

I had a 75G tank of Mbunas for years, then I moved from the US to Europe and had to leave the tank. I've gotten back into the hobby over a year ago and started with West African Dwarf Cichlids (Pelvicachromis/Nanochromis) and absolutely love the amount of character these little guys have. And recently, I have discovered shellies :).

Now I want to build a tank for the kitchen, and in the space I have I can fit either a 157L (41G) - 90cm long x 50cm wide x 35cm High (35.4 x 19.6 x 13.7 inches) OR a 160L - 80cm x 50cm x 45 cm aquarium.

That said, what I would like to do is house mainly shellies (undecided which, leaning towards neo. similis).

In addition to the shellies, I am interested in what my options are for additional Tangs. From what I've read, I may be interested in adding jullies, but would really like to add kind of a 'crown juwel' (e.g. a single Alto. Calvus, Neolamp. Pulcher/Brichardi/sexfasciatus).

Question 1: Aquarium Size - which is better? (I am leaning toward the 90x50 for more sureface area)

Question 2: Stocking Suggestions - How many shellies (probably best to stick to a single type?), how many jullies, what are options for other fish (aka crown juwel)?

Thanks!
travomars

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Building a Tang Tank: Input on dimensions/fish

Postby Deeda » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:34 pm

Welcome to C-F!!!

I prefer your first tank size option, the longer/shorter tank would be a great choice IMO for a shellie tank.

I prefer only one shellie species per tank to avoid the potential for cross breeding and to enjoy the behaviors of the species. I usually buy at least 6 juveniles to start regardless of the species. 'Lamprologus' multifasciatus or 'L.' similis are usually considered as colony breeders and will raise up multiple broods.

I've not added Julidochromis species to a shellie tank but one of the smaller species may work.
Deeda
Global Moderator

Re: Building a Tang Tank: Input on dimensions/fish

Postby Fogelhund » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:08 pm

Agree with Deeda, and just want to add, that a single fish, is just going to be a pain in the butt to the other fish.
Fogelhund

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species