Lake Tanganyika Species • New 20g Julidochromis marlieri Gombe setup with pics

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

New 20g Julidochromis marlieri Gombe setup with pics

Postby Kevin in Ky » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:47 pm

Well, my order of 6 of these guys came in this morning and I added them to an empty 20g long that I had been getting ready for them. They are each about 1.5"..and really look great! I've never kept Julies, so I am amazed at the colors and interesting behavior these fish are showing as soon as they hit the water! Here is a pic of the tank and then a few more of the fish.

125g Met Msobo - White Labs - Acei (White Tail) - Troph Elong Boadzulu - Cyno Jalo Reef -Petricola Catfish
55g Demasoni - Yellow Labs - Acei
55g Cyno Hara - Met Estherae - Rusty
29g Ps Saulosi - Rusty
20g 'Lamprologus' ocellatus ''Gold''
Kevin in Ky

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: New 20g Julidochromis marlieri Gombe setup with pics

Postby snorkel3 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:18 pm

Congrats on the new fish!! I think that Julidochromis are often underrated in regards to their coloration since it often isn't as obvious with a quick glance.

I also love the look of the new tank with the background and IMO, the well done rocks, sand and shells. =D>
snorkel3

Postby Fogelhund » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:30 pm

Facebook like. Maybe I will post some pictures of mine later too.
Fogelhund

Postby Kevin in Ky » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:39 pm

Thanks guys..I appreciate the nice words. I would love to see some pics of your fish Fogelhund!
125g Met Msobo - White Labs - Acei (White Tail) - Troph Elong Boadzulu - Cyno Jalo Reef -Petricola Catfish
29g Ps Saulosi - Rusty
Kevin in Ky

Postby Kevin in Ky » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:42 am

Does anyone with experience keeping Julies have any thoughts or guesses on the sex of these 4? I started with 6 of them a few weeks ago,..and so far so good I guess. The water perameters etc. are perfect. Within the fist week I had to re-home 2 of them, as they were obviously being ostracized and started hanging towards the top. Is this normal for a group..maybe 1.5 inches each, that haven't formed any pairs yet?.

The other four are all doing great. 3 of them look identical..slender, very light bodies with black stripes...

..but the other one is slightly longer but much thicker,..a slightly darker body, thicker stripes and more blue in the fins.

Any guesses on the sex of these? I'm thinking I have either 1 male and 3 females or 3 females and 1 male? Also, at what size (approx) do they normally form a pair?
29g Ps Saulosi - Rusty
Kevin in Ky

Postby Fogelhund » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:43 am

Typically it is the female who is the larger, though if you have good eyes, you should be able to visually see the difference from the side. The male gonopodium is fairly obvious, and points down, and back towards the tail of the fish. There is no difference in colouration, so that is just coincidental. They might pair before too long, though typically more when the female is closer to 2".
Fogelhund

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:38 pm

Tank looks sooo good Kev. Awesome job.
Iggy Newcastle

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species