Lake Tanganyika Species • New 90g community planning

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

New 90g community planning

Postby maliceuk » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:50 am

Hi guys,

I am setting up a new community tank after a few years break from the hobby (circumstances didn't allow it). I'm waiting for my tank to be built and in the meantime want to get it all planned and start looking for some good F1 stock to fill it with! I've had a few community tanks before as well as a few species tanks so I'm not a complete amateur.

The tank is 42" x24" x24"

For the open water I am pretty much set on a group of Cyprochromis Leptesoma (Utinta) I'll try to get a breeding group of 8-12.
I would like to get get 6 Synodontis Petricola (yes Petricola, not Lucipinnis) and a Synodontis Granulosus, this one I'm unsure of as my tank would be big enough for a single specimen but I'm not sure how aggressive and territorial it would be with the Petricola. I've read that they get on well enough, but I'm aware that a Granulosus is a big fish and could bully Petricolas. The rockscape will be designed to provide plenty of territory.

For the rock dwellers I am considering just some Neolamprologus Leilupi, suggestions here are required as I'm not sure of the best fit. I don't want to get Juliodochromis as they overbred in my previous community and I struggled to manage the population.

I am going to give shell dwellers a miss although I might potentially get a single Hecqui depending on what else I chose.

I would also like to get a Lamprologus Calvus, I have no experience with this fish at all so comments welcome.

Sandsifters really appeal to me but I don't think they would work, due to a lot of open sand space being occupied by rocks and my plans to have a decent group of Synos which would cause too much disturbance to them.

Many thanks!
maliceuk

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: New 90g community planning

Postby DJRansome » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:47 pm

If you find true Petricola, let me know!
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Petricola
55G Chrysonotus; 38G Demasoni
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Maingano; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby maliceuk » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:27 am

You'll be the first to know! There are none about at the moment but I'm patient and I'll wait for a proper group to show up somewhere. I might email Mikes Rifts and see what he can do.
maliceuk

Postby Leyshpunctatus » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:43 pm

Not sure where abouts in England you are but I know one of my LFS' in Cornwall have previously had true Petricola in before, if they don't currently - I haven't visited for a while, and they do mail order too. Will PM you a link to their site.
Leyshpunctatus

Postby DJRansome » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:24 pm

You are lucky in the UK then...here they sell the fish as whatever the importer calls them (which means every Syno with a white leading edge on the dorsal is Petricola). But I have yet to find a place that sells true petricola. Not Germany. Not US. Many years of searching.

One vendor in the US gets "petricola" all the time, but he has them identified on planetcatfish.com. All most all end up being lucipinnis. I was able to get a group of 4 true petricola (per planetcatfish.com) only once in the 12 years I've been keeping Synodontis.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Leyshpunctatus » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:41 pm

These are the only true Petricola I have seen sold, they were WC. £42 each ($52). They may even never be able to get them again. Are S. Granulosa as rare in the US?
Leyshpunctatus

Postby DJRansome » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:10 pm

Fairly rare. Usually available from the Rift Lakes is multipunctatus, lucipinnis and polli once in a while.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species