Lake Tanganyika Species • Tropheus Project

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

Tropheus Project

Postby Read » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:21 pm

Hello everyone,

I’m a usual reader of this forum but this is my first post. After some year away from the hobby i decided to start a new project, once again with Tropheus.
I had success before keeping a healthy colony and breeding but i want to ask some question so i can provide the best conditions for the fish.

The plan is to order a custom made tank, the size that i’m thinking is 150x60x50 450L ( 118gal ). In this tank i want to have a colony with 20/25 members, i didn’t decide on the species yet but the ilangi are on the top of my list. ;) Although this species will be hard to find on the local market, is there any recommended websites where i can order some? Shipping to Europe, i’m from Portugal.

20/25 Too many? Too few?

I didn’t decide if i want to have a sump or not, i’m not sure if its worth the trouble but at the moment i’m thinking yes. For filtration i’m thinking on the Fluval fx4 or the fx6. Is the fx6 too much?

I will have some more questions, but for now i want to order the tank and the filtration system and then i will ask some more questions.

Ps: English it’s not my main language, so sorry for any mistakes
Read

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Tropheus Project

Postby morrismorris » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:10 pm

I don't have any suggestions, as I am in the same boat as you are or were. Just curious, did you go through with the project? I am also thinking of going with ilangi, only in a 75gal.
morrismorris

Postby Read » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:13 am

Yeah, im looking for the fish but they are not easy to find...
Read

Postby morrismorris » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:46 am

Well good luck. Hopefully you can find a supplier. I am maybe a week or two away from ordering my clan of about 20-25. I'm still waiting on a few items to come in the mail before I run a fishless cycle.
morrismorris

Postby Fogelhund » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:03 pm

True Illangi are rare, and endangered. Please don't support any shipper who has wild fish.

20-25 fish should be fine in your aquarium. There are all kinds of importer/exporters in Europe...perhaps join a Tropheus or Tanganyikan group on Facebook, because there are a lot of breeders there too.
Fogelhund

Postby morrismorris » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:20 pm

The ilangi I'm getting are tank raised/born. I do remember reading about the issue with wild caught.
morrismorris

Postby Read » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:20 am

For sure, i'm also looking for tank raised. I talk with some Europe breeders and stores, but no success yet.
But i still have some time, the tank should be delivered next week. So i'm not in a rush to get them. The tank is 210x55x55cm i will post some pics soon.
Read

Postby morrismorris » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:26 am

Boa sorte!
morrismorris

Postby noddy » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:33 pm

morrismorris wrote:Boa sorte!

Pardon?
noddy

Postby Read » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:47 pm

Hello, I have some updates.

The tank was delivered last week. The initial idea was to put the tank in another room but it was too large to go in the hallways so I decided to install it in the living room.

The problem with the tank in the living room was the stand color, the black didn't go well with the current decoration.
After a long night of work, I applied a white vinyl on the doors, the initial ideas were to apply the vinyl in the whole stand but it's good enough for now.

Once the stand was finished was time to do some "Aquascaping", i used some old rocks and wood that I collected over the years and put this together.

The tank is currently being filtered by an Eheim Profissional 3 1250l/h and I Have a JBL of 1500l/h ready to go. There are some things that I want to change in the next week, I will keep posting.

Thanks
Read

Postby morrismorris » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:17 pm

That looks fantastic. Very neat. Can't wait to see with fish in it. Are you doing a fishless cycle? I'm into mine now, day 3, and still waiting for ammonia to come down.
morrismorris

Postby Read » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:31 pm

morrismorris wrote:That looks fantastic. Very neat. Can't wait to see with fish in it. Are you doing a fishless cycle? I'm into mine now, day 3, and still waiting for ammonia to come down.

Thanks for your feedback, i have 14 corydoras in the tank. They are there because i don't have another place to put them.
Read

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species