Lake Tanganyika Species • Stocking Scheme Thoughts

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

Re: Stocking Scheme Thoughts

Postby punman » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:18 am

A year ago I ordered 8 cyps and 6 E kilesa juveniles. They could not be sexed at that point.
Here we are a year later and it turns out I have 2M 6F with the cyps which I am happy about as I wanted a breeding group. Not too colourful with two males but I am starting to get lots of females breeding.
Kilesas ended up being three and three. The males are not destroying other nor harassing the females too much. No breeding yet but lots of displaying by the males.
135 Gallon: Frontosa 5 Wild Caught Mpimbwe
90 Gallon: Cyrtocara moorii, Labidochromis caeruleus
90 Gallon: Cyprichromis Mamalesa, Enantiopus Kilesa
10 & 20 Gallon: Fry Tanks
Fish tanks - betcha can't have just one!
punman

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby whalebite » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:56 am

Ok. Probably should go with the xenos, they are smaller. Just need a few more quick questions answered
What kind of Sand, Pool Filter or Play? I have pool filter with my Vics and really like it, but would the Sand Sifters prefer the more mud like stuff?
And what sort of Background, Black, Blue (not liking that), a bluish scene (like a picture of more shallow water)

And I have asked about Open Water, which is were the primary fish groups are, with maybe 1-2 species on the bottom, What about Rock Dwellers? Since gobies are vegitarians and everything else is basically a planctivore/crustacivore, they are probably not the best choice. How would a pair of julies do, as I said I have long admired them, but I here they can be nasty? or Since I am mainly doing open water maybe a few paracyps could work around the 1 or 2 rock structures?
whalebite

Postby whalebite » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:28 pm

The other thing is my water is generally in the 7.5-7.8 pH range, should I have aragonite to buffer it up to into the 8s. Thinking texas holey rock (It buffers water too, probably why many of my tanks are 7.8, and I like how it looks) or maybe collecting rock, like granite or lace, if holey is too pricy.
whalebite

Previous

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species