Lake Tanganyika Species • Can I Fit More Tropheus?

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

Can I Fit More Tropheus?

Postby 679x » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:33 pm

Wondering if I can fit any more Tropheus in my 4-foot 75 gallon. I can't really count the exact number, but I think I have 18 remaining Tropheus Ikolas in there... poor guys were dying and I didn't know why. I also have 6 Julidochromis transcriptus and 4 Synodontis petricola, along with lots of rocks for them.

I was wondering if I could get any more Tropheus in this tank -- mainly Tropheus duboisi. I've had this tank for 6 months, and the Tropheus are around 2" in length from head to tail. If I got any more, I'd prefer to do it now rather than later when they, from what I've read, might have more potential of being aggressive to new tankmates.

I'd be hesitant to add more Ikolas to the colony at this point. In fact, I don't think I ever will. But me and my family like Tropheus duboisi, and I've read in a few places that they rarely interact with other Tropheus types, making them a good candidate for a second Tropheus type in a tank. I've also seen many videos on Youtube of Duboisi mixed with other Tropheus types like the one I have, being Ikola, and Bemba/Bulu Point which I think are similar, if I'm not mistaken?

So, with all that being said, could I fit Tropheus duboisi in here? If so, how many? If not, why? (so I know)

Thanks in advance.
75 gallon: Tropheus Ikola, Julidochromis transcriptus, Synodontis petricola
20 gallon long: Neolamprologus multifasciatus
679x

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Can I Fit More Tropheus?

Postby 679x » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:13 pm

I had been planning a new 75 gallon tank, maybe I can do this:

1. Set up new 75 gallon and cycle.
2. Remove all rocks from my current 75 gallon and set up rocks in new one.
3. Catch and move Julidochromis and Synodontis from old 75 gallon to new one, leaving just Tropheus Ikola in the old tank.
4. Add Cyprichromis or hard-water rainbowfish to new 75 gallon with the Julis and Synos.
5. Add Tropheus duboisi and Eretmodus gobies to old 75 gallon with the Ikolas.

How does that sound? My family wants the new tank to be more peaceful, meaning no Tropheus in the new tank (unfortunately) but Cyprichromis or rainbowfish are fish that we like that I think would work well in that tank anyway. Then, my old tank can be for Tropheus and gobies, which are my two favourite fish -- I just have to find out where to get Eretmodus in Canada.
679x

Postby noddy » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:23 pm

A 75g tank is not big enough to house two groups of Tropheus.
I have done it in 5' 120g tanks and one group always dominates the other resulting in one group not coloring up very well.
The possibility of cross breeding would also be greater in a smaller tank and despite what some may think, Dubs can crossbreed with other Trophs.
On top of that, Ikolas are known to spawn with just about anything given the right conditions.
Duboisi grow larger than any other Tropheus that I have seen personally.
noddy

Postby 679x » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:01 pm

Thanks noddy, what do you think I should do? I'm assuming adding more Ikolas is risky, and I don't know how 18 Ikolas will do long-term? Is that a good number to have in a Tropheus colony?
679x

Postby noddy » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:35 am

It's not a bad number. 18-24 is a decent sized group. A pair of gobies would add something more to the tank if that's what you are aiming for.
I personally would just leave them be (providing they are over whatever was killing them off and have stopped dying).
They will start breeding soon enough and the colony will grow.
noddy

Postby nodima » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:48 am

noddy wrote:It's not a bad number. 18-24 is a decent sized group. A pair of gobies would add something more to the tank if that's what you are aiming for.
I personally would just leave them be (providing they are over whatever was killing them off and have stopped dying).

+1

I have Pemba in my 180, started with 23 and best I can tell now have close to 50, including fry and juveniles. It is really cool to see little ones poking their heads out of rocks as the big ones go by.
180 gal - Tanganyikan community tank: Tropheus Bemba, Synodontis Petricola, Compressiceps

125gal - South American community: Geophagus, Acara, Angels, Severum, Festivum

75gal - Planted SA tank
nodima

Postby 679x » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:22 pm

noddy wrote:It's not a bad number. 18-24 is a decent sized group. A pair of gobies would add something more to the tank if that's what you are aiming for.

Hm, ok. I considered moving the Julidochromis and Synodontis to a new tank so that I could fit another Tropheus group in the old one, but if I can't, then I'll think of another plan. My family seems to be on board with having another tank (which I was going to put the Julidochromis and Synos in), but they don't want Tropheus again because of what happened with them dying. So I'll just stick with one type of Tropheus.

I was going to go with a community tank with Bolivian rams, but I don't know, I'm not really sure if I want the small community fish that I would've gotten with them. Rainbowfish are nice, but I read that the softer-water ones (which would've been compatible with the rams) tend to have aggression between males, so that doesn't help much, either. If they're going to be aggressive, I figure I'd rather just get a Tanganyikan cichlid tank. And my tap water pH is naturally above 7... which is yet another reason why I want to go for Tanganyikan cichlids.

Maybe I can convince them to allow me to get another Tropheus colony in the new tank haha.

Also, what age / what size do Ikolas tend to start breeding?
679x

Postby Perbunan » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:22 am

I removed my Synos from my Tropheus tank as the babies were going missing overnight and I think they were the culprits.
I now have a group of 18 plus 1 goby plus 1 lelupi for variety. It seems to be a well balanced tank.
Perbunan

Postby 679x » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:37 pm

Just a minute or two ago the dominant male Tropheus and what is presumably a female were doing a lot of shaking and displaying (and what looked like the start of mating!) in the large fake rock cave that I have in the tank, which I was thinking about removing to give more swimming space for the Tropheus. The male appeared to be trying to lure the female into the cave with him, and was chasing away all other fish. I guess I won't be taking the cave out anytime soon lol.

Would they be too young to breed? The biggest ones (the two that were together for example) are 2.5" or so.
679x

Postby 679x » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:11 pm

Here are two pictures of the female. I haven't seen any shaking since my last post. She is doing a chewing thing and is picking at stuff, but doesn't open her mouth. She also has a very very slight bulge under her chin. Could it be what I think it could be?? :o It's hard to get a good picture on my phone, I have to zoom in which just makes it more blurry so it's not much better than not zoomed. Sorry about that.

She is no longer leaving the area outside the cave, but occasionally chases off the few fish that are coming near the cave. I think the male made it clear that they don't want guests. Take a look at these two pictures of the female (yes I know they are blurry) and see whether it looks anything like holding eggs, or whether I am getting ahead of myself. I swear it's easier to see the bulge in person but I spent a good 15 minutes watching her and trying to get a good picture to no avail. But this is what I got:
http://i.imgur.com/LF3MO2b.jpg?1
http://i.imgur.com/2wzBtBG.jpg?1
679x

Postby noddy » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:34 pm

She's holding. Congrats.
noddy

Postby 679x » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:42 pm

noddy wrote:She's holding. Congrats.

Thank you!! I've been hovering around this post for the past few mins because I was pretty excited to see what people thought. This is exciting :)

I will keep an eye on her for the next couple weeks. It's possible that the eggs are infertile, or that they might be eaten, from what I've read? Could that happen, since I believe it's their first time spawning.

Overall though, really happy!!
679x

Postby 679x » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:36 pm

Also, I can 100% confirm that she is holding! (Not that I doubted you anyway, Noddy :)) I threw an algae wafer in there and she was picking at it, then swam off a bit and spit out a big orangeish egg then immediately picked it back up again! I was kind of surprised she did that, I'm assuming it was just because she was trying to eat the algae wafer though.
679x

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species