Lake Tanganyika Species • What fish with Goby Cichlid?

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

What fish with Goby Cichlid?

Postby tanganfan » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:31 pm

Hello,

All I'm new to the board but not exactly new to Tanganyika cichlids because I've had some that I sold with my 125g tank about 12 years ago (multifasciatus, transcriptus, and paracyprichromis). Now fast forward to today and I have the Tanganyika bug again but I want to do it different and better this time by going with at least a pair of Goby Cichlids and maybe some multi's or other shell dwellers again along with some rock dwellers. I will be using a 6ft 125 gallon aquarium with sand along with about three sections of shells and a section for large river rocks/boulders as well. I would like some ideas/suggestions on what Tanganyika fish would make a good community tank. I think the only fish I'm set on right now is the Goby Cichlid and I'm open to pulling some of my rocks or shells as well.

Thanks,

Jason
tanganfan

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: What fish with Goby Cichlid?

Postby whalebite » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:44 pm

I am hoping to get some myself.
I would get a school of paracyprichromis, or one of the smaller Cyprichromis as they are open water and would probably leave the gobies alone. From my research they generally leave other fish be. Your tank is pretty big so you could probably keep another small rock dweller in there, and shell dwellers should leave them alone as long as they keep away from the shells (so maybe a smaller shell bed with one of the less aggressive species)
whalebite

Postby tanganfan » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:37 pm

Thanks for the reply. I'm actually more afraid the Goby will hurt the shell dwellers and other fish because from my reading they can go on a killing spree if things aren't just right even killing their partner if it suits them.
tanganfan

Postby noddy » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:10 pm

tanganfan wrote:Thanks for the reply. I'm actually more afraid the Goby will hurt the shell dwellers and other fish because from my reading they can go on a killing spree if things aren't just right even killing their partner if it suits them.

They can definitely kill each other but in my experience they completely ignore any other species.
noddy

Postby whalebite » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:40 pm

How are they with shell dwellers like multies. I have heard multies can be pretty rough on fish that swim to close to their patch.
whalebite

Postby 679x » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:21 pm

whalebite wrote:How are they with shell dwellers like multies. I have heard multies can be pretty rough on fish that swim to close to their patch.

That is true, but they only guard a very small area around their shell for the most part. To avoid having the multies fighting other fish and claiming too much of the tank, limit the shells to an area in the tank. That way, the multies will have their own section of the bottom of the tank where there are shells. With a 6ft tank, this should still leave plenty of space for the other tank inhabitants.
75 gallon: Tropheus Ikola, Julidochromis transcriptus, Synodontis petricola
20 gallon long: Neolamprologus multifasciatus
679x

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species