Lake Tanganyika Species • Any sex differences in Julie Dickfeldi

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

Any sex differences in Julie Dickfeldi

Postby Illuminator » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:28 pm

I have a 29 gal tank with rocks and fine sand set up. Last week I purchased five Julie Dickfeldi that are roughly four or five months old. I want to see if I can eventually get them to pair off and mate. I know some will say I should have purchased more, but these were not cheap! Of the five, the largest one has claimed the right side area as his/her territory, and drives the others away. The other four cluster together around the rock formations on the left side. The dominant fish (2.00") will some times chase the others who usually submit. The remaining four are roughly (1.75"). I assume that a pecking order is being established, but my question is this: Which sex grows to a larger size, males or females. I have read conflicting analysis of this. Also, how long before they reach maturity?

Thanks
Illuminator

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Any sex differences in Julie Dickfeldi

Postby Dandy Don » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:42 pm

I see nobody has responded to your question, so I'll tell you what I know.
I purchased three Dickfeldi at an auction exactly a year ago. The smallest one was chased off and eventually died. The remaining two paired off.
They began breeding in the middle of last summer, so I'm guessing they were about a year old. Since then, they have reared at least three clutches of fry.
I have read from multiple sources that the female grows larger than the male. With my pair, the presumed larger female spends quite a bit of time chasing other fish away from the holey rock that protects the fry. The presumed smaller male does as well, but spends more time around the fry and grooming the substrate by carrying mouthfuls of sand from under the rock. He also does a lot of inverting to check on the eggs attached to the bottom of the rock. I don't see any physical differences between the pair except the size.
I hope that helps a little.
Dandy Don

Postby Fogelhund » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:58 am

Fogelhund

Postby Illuminator » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:16 pm

Dandy Don wrote:I see nobody has responded to your question, so I'll tell you what I know.
I purchased three Dickfeldi at an auction exactly a year ago. The smallest one was chased off and eventually died. The remaining two paired off.
They began breeding in the middle of last summer, so I'm guessing they were about a year old. Since then, they have reared at least three clutches of fry.
I have read from multiple sources that the female grows larger than the male. With my pair, the presumed larger female spends quite a bit of time chasing other fish away from the holey rock that protects the fry. The presumed smaller male does as well, but spends more time around the fry and grooming the substrate by carrying mouthfuls of sand from under the rock. He also does a lot of inverting to check on the eggs attached to the bottom of the rock. I don't see any physical differences between the pair except the size.
I hope that helps a little.

Thank you for responding Don! The dominant fish of my five is also the largest. It has cropped off the right side of the 29 gal with the rock formations has its territory. Two smaller ones have claimed the left side as their area and the other two have been driven away and spend their days at the top corners of the tank. The largest bullies the others but occasionally one of the smaller ones on the left side either swims to the larger's territory or vice versa and they circle each other and occasionally pair into the rock crevices. I believe they may still be too young to spawn but I am not sure!
Illuminator

Postby Illuminator » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:19 pm

Fogelhund wrote:http://www.fishhead.com/articles/ventsex.htm

Thank you Fogelhund!
Illuminator

Postby Dandy Don » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:49 pm

Yes, breeding behavior started long before they were old enough to breed. I would say mine were about a year old when they spawned.
Dandy Don

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species