Lake Tanganyika Species • Tanganyika community stock help!!!

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

Tanganyika community stock help!!!

Postby kyle91 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:09 am

i started out with intentions on a all male mixed tank after seeing my black calvus in this environment and research on stocking a 55g (206L) long im set on a Tanganyika community tank! I've never owned tanganyikan until now and do not know a whole lot about any of the fish..what to stock or how much to stock? all input would be greatly appreciated
kyle91

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Tanganyika community stock help!!!

Postby Fogelhund » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:42 am

So you are looking at a mixed gender breeding tank? In a 55 gallon, you are likely going to be limited to three species maximum.

Something like a pair of calvus, pair of small Julidochromis, such as transcriptus, Gombe or ornatus, and a shell dweller, either brevis or multifasciatus. You could also switch other the Julidochromis for small Cyprichromis, Utinta or Blue Flash, or go with Paracyprichromis instead.
Fogelhund

Postby kyle91 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:53 am

yes a mixed gender breeding tank.. how many shell dwellers could i have? i know i can get ahold of sun spot brevis locally im not sure about multis
kyle91

Postby kyle91 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:18 am

i searched around and found a fish store with a lot of variety of julidochromis dickfeldi, marlieri, ornatus, regani nsumba, regani kipili, transcriptus bemba and gombi
kyle91

Postby Fogelhund » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:04 am

I would get six of the shell dwellers... the more you have, the more interesting they are. Quite a few brevis in a tank, makes for an interesting tank.

Stick to the Julidochromis that I have suggested.
Fogelhund

Postby Leyshpunctatus » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:05 pm

Fogelhound, can I ask why you don't suggest the Dickfeldi? Often they aren't suggested in these sort of stocking questions, is there any particular reason?
Leyshpunctatus

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species