Lake Tanganyika Species • L. caudopunctatus & J. marlieri

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

L. caudopunctatus & J. marlieri

Postby SherLar » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:13 am

I'm just full of stupid questions, typically after I've already committed a stupid act. This is no different. I acquired a breeding trio of L. caudopunctatus about 1.5-2 inches, and 6 J. marlieri fry about .75 inches, intending to put them in my 29g quarantine tank until my new 125g tanks was finished cycling, then put dividers in the 125 and keep them there. When I took the cover off my quarantine tank, the water was fouled, brownish colored, and smelly. Not sure what happened, but I suspect poor maintenance on my part, as I tend to forget about it when I do water changes on my other tanks. Anyway, needing a place to put the new fish temporarily, I transitioned them to the community tank without quarantine. Stupid, I know. However, they've been in there since early yesterday afternoon, and seem to be fine. My question is, will they continue to be fine for the next 3-4 weeks until the 125 is cycled fully? The tank has Yoyo loaches, Weather loaches, several cories, 3 Denison Barbs, and a Golden Wonder killifish, none of them aggressive. The L. caudopunctatus quickly took possession of a large overturned shell, and the J. marlieris seem to be content in a small rock formation with several caves. All seem to be eating well thus far. Any input is appreciated, as I have little experience with Tanganyika Cichlids.
6,500G Koi pond; 220g Indoor water garden;
150g long American cichlid tank;
125g Undecided (Cycling)
90G Malawi cichlid tank;
90G Community tank
SherLar

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: L. caudopunctatus & J. marlieri

Postby DJRansome » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:26 pm

Why not clean the 29G and use established media from the 90G Malawi tank for an instant cycle for the 29G? Or even the 125G for that matter?
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Petricola
55G Chrysonotus; 38G Demasoni
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Maingano; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species