Lake Tanganyika Species • Tanganyikan community stocking! need advice

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

Tanganyikan community stocking! need advice

Postby Sparrk » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:24 pm

Hello!
After moving overseas I now have a new fish tank! It is presently undergoing cycling, but I am slowly starting to think about stock. It is a 200liter tank(about 50gal I believe) it is 1m long, 40cm deep and 50cm high(for my American friends that would be about 39inch long by 16deep and 19high). I want some Altolamprologus calvus for sure, with some shellies. Since I have owned mostly Malawi and SA dwarf cichlids, I have some questions! Are the Calvus a pairing fish, or do they work better in harems? I have read a lot, but on some websites they say they pair, on others they say 1male to 2females, so I would like to know based on experience what is best for them! For the shellies, i want the shell dweller with the most character, I have read great thing on the multifasciatus, and I am leaning towards them, but I am open to other suggestions! Id like to know what is the best ratio for them and how many would be ok in the footprint I have. Finally, I probably have some room left for something else :D Id like suggestions on something that is odd/cool/weird looking and also has an interesting behavior!

Thank you :)
please excuse my french!! :P
Sparrk

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Tanganyikan community stocking! need advice

Postby DJRansome » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:11 pm

I'd say in a 39" tank you will end up with a pair but buy six unsexed juveniles and see what happens. You will have to rehome some.

Same with multis, but they colonize so all can likely stay.

You MAY have room for six Paracyprichromis nigripinnis, but they need some high caves and substrate space for sleeping as well.
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Petricola
55G Chrysonotus; 38G Demasoni
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Maingano; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Sparrk » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:42 pm

I really like the Nigripinnis and I thought about them but I wasnt sure in that aquarium size. They are more of a middle dwelling specie right? I planned to do the right side of my tank sand/plants more open area. Maybe some way smaller rocks to tie the plants to.. since cichlids dig a lot! Left side with higher rocks since I have nice pieces of lava rock and slates. So they would have the higher rocks and some substrate space. Then shells mixed in all of it for the shellies, they will move the shells around to their liking anyway :)
Sparrk

Postby DJRansome » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:28 pm

I've seen people put slates the height of the tank for paracyps. The like the top half of the tank. Your altolamps may claim all of the rocks in the lower half.
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Petricola
55G Chrysonotus; 38G Demasoni
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Maingano; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Sparrk » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:01 pm

The pieces I have are some sizeable piece of slate, I could get a bunch of smaller ones and stack/glue them and make more spots for them higher up, any recommendation on a safe glue to do that? Would the silicon you use for aquariums be fine?
Sparrk

Postby Mcdaphnia » Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:09 am

Sparrk wrote:The pieces I have are some sizeable piece of slate, I could get a bunch of smaller ones and stack/glue them and make more spots for them higher up, any recommendation on a safe glue to do that? Would the silicon you use for aquariums be fine?

Slate and aquarium silicone glue are not always good together. Washing the slate in very hot water after sanding the areas of attachment can increase the strength of the bond, but like gluing acrylic with silicone, the attachment is very weak, especially if the slate is not given time to dry completely. I find that waterfall foam for building waterfalls in ponds works better. It comes in a dark gray and matches the color of some slate.
Mcdaphnia

Postby noddy » Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:56 pm

I would definitely add Paracyps to the tank. Like DJRansome said, just stand some tall pieces of slate against the back wall.
My Paracyps just spawn on the back and sides of the tank.
noddy

Postby Sparrk » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:30 am

Thanks for the great advises :)!
Sparrk

Postby kyle91 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:51 am

you seem to have a better idea about how much you can safely stock in a 50g in my case 55g 48in? I ended up with a black calvus and am looking to start a tanganyikan community tank also... I am lost when it comes to stocking
kyle91

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species