Lake Tanganyika Species • Feeding WC Altolamps

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

Feeding WC Altolamps

Postby ldregz » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:34 pm

I've heard a lot of the importers are feeding freeze dried/frozen krill, mysis shrimp and brine shrimp. Just curious as to what everyone is feeding their wild caught altolamps.
210G Malawians
75G Copadichromis virginalis Firecrest
40G Atlo Comp Sumbus
ldregz

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Feeding WC Altolamps

Postby Mcdaphnia » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:37 pm

Guppies or Endlers you raised yourself, or you can raise blue gouramies, gold mozambique tilapia, or obliquidens for the fry. They may also eat live Daphnia. I have tank raised Altos that readily eat them. If there are other fish in the tank, they may eventually learn by example to eat pellet or flake foods.
Mcdaphnia

Postby ldregz » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:26 pm

They'll eat flakes and pellets, I was just curious what everyone else was doing outside of that. Thanks for the advice on live food.
210G Malawians
75G Copadichromis virginalis Firecrest
40G Atlo Comp Sumbus
ldregz

Postby hcarr1234 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:18 am

I feed mine frozen brine shrimp. I am switching them to pellets.
I would like to start raising feeder guppies.
hcarr1234

Postby Kleovoulos » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:07 pm

Mcdaphnia wrote:Guppies or Endlers you raised yourself, or you can raise blue gouramies, gold mozambique tilapia, or obliquidens for the fry.

This is an unacceptable proposal from a Moderator :-?
I grew various wc cichlids and all have easily learned to accept commersial fish food.
Your suggestions are at least offensive to those who love and keep in their aquariums guppies,endlers etc
Kleovoulos

Postby DJRansome » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:08 pm

Are you thinking it's offensive to feed fish their natural diet if it includes live fry? Or maybe any living organism? Just curious. :)
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Petricola
55G Chrysonotus; 38G Demasoni
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Maingano; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Kleovoulos » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:38 pm

Are guppies the natural diet for altolamps??
Yes, many kinds of fish, and altos, hunt others in nature. An aquarium is not nature.
If a fish can't thrive eating commersial fish food or at least artemia, daphnia etc in my opinion must not keep it in an aquarium.
I think it's not permissible to suggest something like the above to a fishkeeper in a fishforum!
Kleovoulos

Postby DJRansome » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:40 pm

I understand your thought process and it's even what I do. However, I think there are many that would disagree. Thanks for posting!

(Except in a community tank...I do not try to save fry of other species like shellies or julidochromis or cyps from the altos...and I assume those fry ARE the natural diet of altolamps.)

Also what about using Synodontis for fry patrol...would that fall into the same category? I do that too. Hmmm.
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Petricola
55G Chrysonotus; 38G Demasoni
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Maingano; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby BC in SK » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:13 pm

Kleovoulos wrote:Are guppies the natural diet for altolamps??

Are pellets and flakes the natural diet of altolamps? It's got to be cooked, dried and processed ...no fish eats anything like that in it's natural habitat!
I don't know what your point is either, as all commercial fish foods contain fish. A fish has to die to be turned into fish meal. How would that be any different whether the fish is fed live or turned into fish meal?
BC in SK

Postby Kleovoulos » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:19 am

I know that "there are many that would disagree" with my side of view.
Me too in a community tank I dont try to save fry from the altos and I have Synos also. I have many caves-shelters and always some can survive.
But I dont obligate my fish to eat onother one.
And it is not necessary.
It is not necessary also for me, kill a cow to eat a burger. I dont like to do that and it is not necessary.
I dont like feed my fish others fishkeepers pets. It is not necessary and not satisfied with this spectacle.

*Sorry for my negative reaction and for my poor English.
Kleovoulos

Postby Kleovoulos » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:32 am

Kleovoulos wrote:I know that "there are many that would disagree" with my side of view.
Me too in a community tank I dont try to save fry from the altos and I have Synos also. I have many caves-shelters and always some can survive.
But I dont obligate my fish to eat onother one.
And it is not necessary.
It is not necessary also for me, kill a cow to eat a burger. I dont like to do that and it is not necessary.
I dont like feed my fish others fishkeepers pets. It is not necessary and not satisfied with this spectacle.

*Sorry for my negative reaction and for my poor English.

to become more comprehensible I dont deny the nature of a predator but why and how dying feeder fish
Kleovoulos

Postby Fogelhund » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:16 pm

We all have and are entitled to our opinions. Personally, I've fed feeder fish, live brine shrimp, live cherry shrimps, ghost shrimps, mosquito larvae, and a host of other things... I'm not the least bothered by it....

You purchase a WC Altolamprologus, and sometimes they are difficult to get to eat commercial foods... especially at first... you've take that fish from the wild, you better do whatever it takes, to make sure that fish survives the adaptation to living in captivity. If that includes feeder fish, because they won't eat anything else at first... do it... and I've seen that a number of times... won't eat pellets, flakes, frozen foods... so you try something that is alive and moves... whatever you can get. In my opinion, it is better to make sure that wild fish, that you've taken from Tanganyika survive, than worry about a couple of feed guppies...
Fogelhund

Postby lizardboy » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:18 pm

I agree with Fogelhund. It's not inherently bad to feed live feeder fish, especially if the fish won't eat anything else. But personally I don't think it makes sense to feed feeder fish once your fish is able to eat frozen foods, pellets, etc. Maybe as an occasional treat, but I can't really see the logic when prepared or frozen foods work for your fish.
lizardboy

Postby FarmerDan » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:13 am

Arguing with a person that suggests feeding daphnia but not feeder fish just seems silly. Get all bent out of shape over a guppy but not an entire colony of daphnia? Sounds logical...

I digress, i feed pellets if i can. Always pellets unless as has been suggested the fish won't take anything unless it's moving.

If you get the fish from someone else that imported it chances are they've tried to teach it to eat pellets or frozen. Importing yourself is a different story and you better be ready to do what is necessary.

I don't see any reason to feed them anything other than pellets
FarmerDan

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species