Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Best food for Synodontis

5K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  bmcmpe07 
#1 ·
What's the best food for Synodontis petricola?
Ι've tried NLS cichlid formula pellets, NLS grow, different flakes and grindal worms but i have never seen them eating.
They do not look hungry or weakened.
I have them for about two months.

#3 ·
All my Synodontis eat NLS sinking pellets.

How many do you have? A group of five that has been in the tank a while...I see mine eat every time. But it's fine to judge by their bellies...as long as they are not concave you are fine.

#6 ·
In my Troph, and mbuna tanks my S.Petricolas & S.Lucipinnis have done well even with the Dainichi veggie FX & Deluxe pellets. My WC S.Polli have been eating Dainichi Ultima and NLS Thera A. IME I think Synodontis will eat just about anything that hits the bottom and I never overfeed the tank in particular to specifically feed them. I hardly ever saw my S. Lucipinnis eat, but they thrived for several years when I had my Mbuna tank and grew from fry. I believe if you have an omnivore or carnivore tank they would definitely be happier with a higher protein food; however, if I had a fish species that needed a strict veggie dominated diet I wouldn't alter it to specifically feed the Synos d/t risk of harming the other fish. I think that most higher quality pellets and flake foods are appropriate enough for Synos. I think stable water chemistry is more important than diet in regards to successfully keeping them.

I have only been keeping Africans for ~16 years and I believe there are some fish-keepers here with much more practical experience who give really good insight into optimal fish husbandry. If you are a fish nerd like me you get most of your info through research; however, I don't think there is a substitute for actual experience either. I believe this a true for any profession or hobby. There are some things you find in fish husbandry research that tell you something should be avoided at all costs, and then the fish-keeper with 40 years said they do that "something" with great success. That being said, I think it is a balance d/t the fact that I don't have that 40 years of experience I tend to stick with the data and research.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.