Lake Tanganyika Species • 50g lamprologus meleagris/Stappersi tank

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

50g lamprologus meleagris/Stappersi tank

Postby jamntoast3 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:40 pm

So I went out and scooped up a group of 8 of these little fish. They are really small right now, bout .5", but man these fish are great. I can't wait till they grow to their full size and get a bit more colour on them. So much personality in them though. It will be interesting to see how their behavior changes as they settle in. I was expecting them to stay closer to their shells and the territory they chose but so far they have really been all over the place. A couple have chose their spots but they have also been going over to their neighbors to see what their place is like and spending a lot of time in and around the rock work. Either way I'm super happy with them, I think I have at least a couple females but really can't tell yet. I'm still trying to see how the dynamic is with the group, figuring out where the shells should be and how many I need. Here are a couple pics of the setup and the fish.

here is the tank while the fish were still acclimating in the bag. I've moved the shells a bit but not too much

jamntoast3

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: 50g lamprologus meleagris/Stappersi tank

Postby jamntoast3 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:33 pm

This is how I currently have my shells arranged. Any thoughts on placement or anything? Too much rockwork? Image
jamntoast3

Postby jamntoast3 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:19 pm

Added some julidochromis sp. Gombe to this tank. Loving the mix of the two species.I've tried to arrange the rocks to make a few caves and such. They seem pretty happy so far. I was going to wait to add a different species but here we are. Here's a little video
https://youtu.be/jn19WSavisc
jamntoast3

Postby snorkel3 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:10 pm

Tank looks good though that large reddish rock looks out of place compared to the darker rocks.

Videos were enjoyable, that one little shellie was definitely keeping an eye out while you were filming him though!!
snorkel3

Postby jamntoast3 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:09 am

Thanks deeda, yea the l. Meleagris have real character. They are always popping up from behind or inside their shells to watch me. When I move their shells they have a little tantrum and try and push it around but they are still too small.
As for the rock, yea it's a little bright compared to the rest, they all came from my family's cabin and they are all mixed up like that there so maybe I don't see it stand out because it's more less natural. I'm not too worried, I maybe get some more rocks in the spring to add to balance it out a bit colour wise
jamntoast3

Postby jamntoast3 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:53 am

So I noticed that a couple of my Julie's are hanging out together, doing a little head shaking and the smaller one is parking herself in some shells right next to my biggest Julie's cave. So who knows, hopefully a pair. Here's a quick video
https://youtu.be/-ks1kQ_Lct4
jamntoast3

Postby jamntoast3 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:26 pm

Did a little update on the tank here.
https://youtu.be/6AS-mtuUXqw
jamntoast3

Postby Fogelhund » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:00 pm

jamntoast3 wrote:Did a little update on the tank here.
https://youtu.be/6AS-mtuUXqw

Nice tank.
Fogelhund

Postby jamntoast3 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:04 am

Update: shuffled a bunch of fish around into different tanks including this group. I like it a lot better now. They are moved to a 60g tank with a 15"*60"* footprint which I think works really well for a group like this. I fooled around with the layout a bit but how I have it now is fairly peaceful compared to the smaller tank they were in. This is how it looks now Image

I was worried the Julie's pair bond might break from the move as I read that can happen but seems they are still a good match for each other and I was able to bring move one of the fry into this tank as well. They have completely made themselves at home, I had heard about shellies digging a ton but not hadn't read about Julie's digging too. I feel like my male has excavated pretty much all the sand from under the pile of rocks in the middle

I don't even know when he is digging, I haven't seen him do it, every day the pile gets bigger though. Lol
jamntoast3

Postby jamntoast3 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:12 am

I also picked up some paracyprichromis nigrippinis and a group of neolamprologus caudopunctatus. The paracyps are definitely going in this tank to fill out the top a bit, I only got 5 because someone bought up the rest but I will add to the group later. The caudopunctatus I want to try out in here and I'll see how it goes. I have been warned to keep it to a small number of species but I feel like it could work so why not try at least. https://youtu.be/GC2MjIfv7-Y
They all look happy and healthy so I'm pretty excited to get them through quarantine and into the tank. Loving this tank and Tanganyikan cichlids in general right now. I should have gotten a tank like this going a while ago
jamntoast3

Postby snorkel3 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:48 pm

I like the look of the new tank so nice job!!

That is quite an excavation going on, must mean that he has some plans in mind.
snorkel3

Postby jamntoast3 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:51 pm

Deeda wrote:I like the look of the new tank so nice job!!

That is quite an excavation going on, must mean that he has some plans in mind.

Thanks, He definitely does, I'm surprised I haven't seen any kids poking their heads out from the rocks.
jamntoast3

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species