Lake Tanganyika Species • 6' Tang Community Planning/Questions

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

6' Tang Community Planning/Questions

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:25 am

Revamping some tanks and looking to do a 6' Tang setup. Either a 125 or a 180(72x24"). Leaning towards the 180 as it's brand new and I have everything I need to get going before breaking down a 125.

Questions are with stocking. My Tang experience is very limited.

1) A Cyprichromis species will be a must and will probably be the single most expensive group of fish I've ever bought.
2) I'm picking up a group of L. Multifasciatus sometime this upcoming week locally, so they will be involved.
3) A type of Altolamp for sure. Hoping to get some older juveniles locally. Going with a single species.

That's kind of where I'm at. Other fish I like the look of...

4) A Julidochromis species. I love J. Marksmithi but I'm guessing they may be too aggressive/large for the above mentioned fish(I asked about this fish here about 2 years ago)? Perhaps Ornatus, Marlieri, Transcriptus would be the better fit due to their size?
5) Paracyprichromis
6) Neolamprologus? Have not researched this group much at all. From what I've looked at they can be quite defensive/killing machines at spawn.
7) Synodontis Lucipinnis. I already have these so they can be added. I want fish to spawn but not necessarily save everything. If these are going to be over the top disruptive of this with the rock dwellers, then I'll omit them.

I'm not looking to shove as many species in the tank as I can. I'd like to do it more conservatively. Not sure how many 'rock dwellers' I could have in a 6' tank, but I've read a lot on aquascaping a Tang community. And I'd love to try featherfins but do not like the idea of devoting the entire floor to them.

Thanks for looking and appreciate any feedback...
Iggy Newcastle

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: 6' Tang Community Planning/Questions

Postby DJRansome » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:15 am

Julidochromis are a good choice. Lucipinnis will annoy the shellies, but not over the top. Some of the neolamps like leleupi kill shellies, both fry and adults so I would not choose them. Maybe someone with luck with neolamps will chime in with other options.
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Petricola
55G Chrysonotus; 38G Demasoni
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Maingano; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Fogelhund » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:04 pm

I don't keep Synodontis with egg layers. You are going to have conflict over territory, and eggs/babies. It is natural for the Synos to try and occupy the caves, and eat the eggs and babies. The cichlids will be unhappy, or the Synos will get damaged.

Julidochromis - If you stick with ornatus, transcriptus, Gombe/Gombi, you will be fine. The larger ones often conflict with the smaller shellies. If you want marksmithi, go with Lepidiolamp shellies.

Neolamps - The list of suitable Neolamps; buescheri, ventralis, mustax, bifasciatus, furcifer,

If you go 180 gallon... your options open up...

Jumbo Cyps... Kitumba?

Altos, Lepidiolamp Shellies, marksmithi, brichardi/pulcher type..
Fogelhund

Postby snorkel3 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:53 pm

Fogelhund wrote:I don't keep Synodontis with egg layers. You are going to have conflict over territory, and eggs/babies. It is natural for the Synos to try and occupy the caves, and eat the eggs and babies. The cichlids will be unhappy, or the Synos will get damaged.

If you go 180 gallon... your options open up...

I agree with both statements, a 180G width adds more options and the extra width just looks better IMO.

I had a nice group of Synodontis lucippinis in a 125G Tang tank and while I adored their appearance and activity in the tank, every time any egg layers spawned, there they were gobbling up the eggs!!! They were also well noted for swimming in and out of shells which impacted any one else using them.

I will also note that I had Julidochromis regani kipili in that tank and they spawned and reared so many fry that when I finally tore the tank down (due to a leak) that I had a couple hundred juvies to sell at auction after 2 years!
snorkel3

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:46 pm

Thanks for the input.

I'm committed and paid for on the Multies. I'm looking forward to what all the fuss is about with this species. I'd like to see them in the community tank, so I'll choose a smaller Julie. As much as I want to try the Regani Kipili/Marksmithi, I'll hold off for this tank.

I'll definitely leave the synos with the Malawi.

So, if choosing the 180...

Cyps- jumbo or not
Altolamps- single species
Multies- the only shell dweller
Julidochromis- smaller species
Neolamp- one from the list Fog provided(buescheri, ventralis, mustax, bifasciatus, furcifer)

That gives me a shell dweller, mid/top swimmer and 3 rock dwellers. Are the P. nigripinnis considered rock dwellers? Would there be room for a group of these. I'm guessing aqua scaping could get tricky.

Thanks!
Iggy Newcastle

Postby Fogelhund » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:31 pm

Iggy Newcastle wrote:Thanks for the input.

I'm committed and paid for on the Multies. I'm looking forward to what all the fuss is about with this species. I'd like to see them in the community tank, so I'll choose a smaller Julie. As much as I want to try the Regani Kipili/Marksmithi, I'll hold off for this tank.

Cyps- jumbo or not
Neolamp- one from the list Fog provided(buescheri, ventralis, mustax, bifasciatus, furcifer)

That gives me a shell dweller, mid/top swimmer and 3 rock dwellers. Are the P. nigripinnis considered rock dwellers? Would there be room for a group of these. I'm guessing aqua scaping could get tricky.

Thanks!

The Paracyprichromis are rock dwellers. If you removed one of the other rock dwellers, you could make room for them. Likely remove the Julidochromis, or Neolamps.
Fogelhund

Postby noddy » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:26 am

Iggy Newcastle wrote:Thanks for the input.

Cyps- jumbo or not

Thanks!

Just my opinion but, In a large tank, non jumbo cyps seem to appear very small.
I had Utinta in my 210g and switched them out to Moliro, jumbo blue orchids. The tank seemed much fuller.
Depending on the stocking, some jumbo cyps can be very aggresive.
ie: most jumbos when kept with Cyathopharynx can prevent the Cyathos from colouring up.
When I switched from Ventralis to Foai I switched the Moliro cyps out for Cyp Microlepidotus, a much calmer jumbo cyp.
Female Paracyps will school with your cyps. All the males need is a flat piece of rock leaning against the back of the tank.
They actually don't really need that. I have had paracyps breed in bare tanks many times.
noddy

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:42 pm

Thanks Fogelund. Will keep the rock dwellers at 3.

Noddy-
I'm kinda dreading the price tag on the cyps. But it's a must have in this setup. I'll certainly be limited to what I can find available. Cichlids are popular in this area, and inexpensive. Tang selection is strong, but mostly Fronts, Altolamps and shellies. I hardly see Cyps come up on the ads. Most likely have to go with an order from some of the former site sponsors. I don't have a problem with that. Looking around right now the selection is pretty minimal online. If you or anyone else can suggest a vendor via PM that would be awesome. I was thinking at least 20 cyps in a 180. Would choosing a 'jumbo' species reduce this number?

Gracias
Iggy Newcastle

Postby awanderingmoose » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:15 pm

If your location is correct, the Greater Chicago Cichlid Association (GCCA) is hosting a swap meet this weekend. Perhaps one of the local breeders will have what you have looking for?
Why in the world are we here? Surely not to live in pain and fear!
awanderingmoose

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:49 pm

Thanks. The GCCA is awesome. Their website is where I search classifieds. I've bought quite a few Fish from vendors that advertise on that site, or vend the swap. Good stuff, for the most part...
Iggy Newcastle

Postby Greg92056 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:01 am

Iggy, did you ever set this tank up? We moved to Panama about a year ago so all of my fish are being fostered by a friend, but we're moving back in June.

It seems you and I have very similar taste in fish and the stocking you mention here is almost identical to my plans for my 125 that used to house my Thorichthys Maculupinnis.
125 - T. Maculipinnis and C. Chetumalensis
10 - L Multifasciatus
Greg92056

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:43 am

I have not Greg, yet.

We were soooo close to moving again, but to our end game home. It would have been perfect. Apparently the seller doesn't like money... So we're still hunting and got that moving bug on the mind. Anyways, I still have the 180 in the garage. Decided to hold off on a huge Tang display until we move, which I'm hoping something happens this spring. Did not want to worry about sensitive fish for a move. And depending on where that is, I may sell mostly everything and start fresh.

Similar tastes, indeed...
Iggy Newcastle

Postby DJRansome » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:14 pm

I did have my 72" tank stocked with similar species and it was a great tank. I decided to move the smaller Tangs next to my desk where I could see them close-up 40 hours weekly. And put the larger, colorful haps/peacocks in the tank visible from cross 2 rooms.
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Petricola
55G Chrysonotus; 38G Demasoni
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Maingano; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Greg92056 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:16 pm

We're in escrow for our "forever home" now. It includes a "bonus room" that is sort of a walk out basement with separate entrance... my wife thinks its going to be her home gym...we'll see... I've negotiated a wall of tanks for her to look at while working out and there is a great spot in the house for my 125 so I've got some planning to do. The 125 will either be a Tang community, a high-tech planted tank, or all male Peacocks and Haps.... I'm leaning heavy towards Tangs, but like you, I have a hard time with the cost of a group of Cyps.

Keep us posted.
125 - T. Maculipinnis and C. Chetumalensis
10 - L Multifasciatus
Greg92056

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:11 pm

So, I'm thinking of just breaking down one of the 125s to utilize for this project. Regardless if we move in a month or a year, we are keeping this property. That will allow plenty of time for proper transfer of these fish, as we will have to do a bit of renovating after we officially move out. I'm going to keep the 180 in the garage for future use.

If I chose to build around O. Ventralis or Boops, what does that eliminate from the list above? I've scoured a bunch of old posts. There is conflicting ideas. Non jumbo Cyps seem to be fine, but any bottom dwellers? Shell dwellers? I really enjoy videos of the feather fins and I'd like to try them. Figured 18" of depth is too short for something like Foai.

Thanks
Iggy Newcastle

Next

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species