Lake Tanganyika Species • 6' Tang Community Planning/Questions

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

Re: 6' Tang Community Planning/Questions

Postby DJRansome » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:28 pm

I wanted Ventralis and was told to give them the whole bottom.

I'm thinking I've seen successful posts about 125G tanks with foai so maybe don't rule them out yet. If I were giving something the whole bottom of a 72" tank it would be foai.
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Petricola
55G Chrysonotus; 38G Demasoni
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Maingano; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:41 pm

Thanks DJ. I saw that about giving them the whole floor in a few posts you were chiming in on. Others as well. At this point I'm fine with 2 or 3 species, really.

There was just a somewhat local ad up for a colony of Foai from Halembe recently. The photographs of the dominant male were ridiculous...
Iggy Newcastle

Postby noddy » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:14 am

Iggy Newcastle wrote:Thanks DJ. I saw that about giving them the whole floor in a few posts you were chiming in on. Others as well. At this point I'm fine with 2 or 3 species, really.

There was just a somewhat local ad up for a colony of Foai from Halembe recently. The photographs of the dominant male were ridiculous...

Halembe Foai are stunning, same goes for Karilani, Kabogo, Sibwesa. All of the copper varieties are amazing fish and don't come around all that often.
noddy

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:26 am

So I had an exciting Friday night reading up on Featherfins.... :zz:

Here's my conclusions...

Foai/Furcifer-
6' minimum, best as species only or with cyprichromis. Need entire floor space. Builds enormous bowers. Rehome males to work towards a 2:5+ ratio. Dominant male not always colored up? Sensitive to change; takes time to settle in. Difficult to locate, big price tag.

Ventralis/Boops-
5' minimum, best as species only/most dominant fish; works well with cyprichromis. Need entire/majority of floor space. Males will utilize some rock work, may build bower. Rehome males to work towards a 2-3:5+ ratio. Males tend to hold color at all times. Sensitive to change but not as much as Foai/Furcifer. Somewhat difficult to locate, smaller price tag than Foai/Furcifer.

Anything way off? Start with 10+ juvies? What's up with the different spelling- Foae/Foai?

I'm thinking Ventralis/Boops are better suited for the 18" depth.

Any input is appreciated.
Iggy Newcastle

Postby DJRansome » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:30 am

IMO when colored, the others cannot compare to foai.
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Petricola
55G Chrysonotus; 38G Demasoni
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Maingano; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby punman » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:28 pm

Ten years ago I had 13 almost adult cyps (Utinta) and 10 amost adult foai (Sibwesa) in a 180 gallon. Within six months they were breeding and I pared the foai down to 5 fish.
It was a great combination. I eventually parted with them to try my hand at tropheus. The foai were one of the few fish that I have ever regretted getting rid of.
135 Gallon: Frontosa 5 Wild Caught Mpimbwe
90 Gallon: Cyrtocara moorii, Labidochromis caeruleus
90 Gallon: Cyprichromis Mamalesa, Enantiopus Kilesa
10 & 20 Gallon: Fry Tanks
Fish tanks - betcha can't have just one!
punman

Postby Fogelhund » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:27 pm

Iggy Newcastle wrote:So I had an exciting Friday night reading up on Featherfins.... :zz:

Here's my conclusions...

Foai/Furcifer-
6' minimum, best as species only or with cyprichromis. Need entire floor space. Builds enormous bowers. Rehome males to work towards a 2:5+ ratio. Dominant male not always colored up? Sensitive to change; takes time to settle in. Difficult to locate, big price tag.

Ventralis/Boops-
5' minimum, best as species only/most dominant fish; works well with cyprichromis. Need entire/majority of floor space. Males will utilize some rock work, may build bower. Rehome males to work towards a 2-3:5+ ratio. Males tend to hold color at all times. Sensitive to change but not as much as Foai/Furcifer. Somewhat difficult to locate, smaller price tag than Foai/Furcifer.

Anything way off? Start with 10+ juvies? What's up with the different spelling- Foae/Foai?

I'm thinking Ventralis/Boops are better suited for the 18" depth.

Any input is appreciated.

My opinion, boops, 6ft minimum.
Fogelhund

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:39 pm

Thanks for all the input everyone.

Got some decisions to make...
Iggy Newcastle

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:05 pm

So this tank is back on hold. Sold 80% of the fish in the 125, and was narrowing down a stock. But, the close to perfect place fell into our lap. So we're moving. Full basement means fish room and I can set up the new 180 with tons of room to spare. Somewhat secluded with lots of woods, so good space for my turtle enclosures as well.

Thanks to those who offered advice. I'll revisit this down the road when it's time to pull the trigger.
Iggy Newcastle

Previous

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species