Lake Tanganyika Species • Paracyprichrommis nigripinnis

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

Paracyprichrommis nigripinnis

Postby ralphcimmarusti » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:23 pm

HI, I'm new to this site and new to this hobby in general. I have a 135g Tang community tank. I have 8 Paracyprichrommis and one looks to be the dominate male. It seems that he likes to be away from the school and hangs out in his own half of the tank. Is this common behavior for this species? Are they tough to breed? Thanks for your help.
ralphcimmarusti

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Paracyprichrommis nigripinnis

Postby sumthinfishy » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:43 am

Yes its common, and they breed like crazy
240 CA tank
125 SA tank
125 planted tank
125 tanganyikan tank
125 mixed african
(2) 75 growouts
(2) 33 longs with multiple L series plecos
35 breeder planted shrimp and juli cat
....and a few others
sumthinfishy

Postby noddy » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:41 am

I agree with sumthinfishys post. Males are loners that will set up and defend a territory, and females will swim together as a group.
And yes, they will breed like rabbits . I have seen males defend an area of the back glass in an bare tank and spawn against the glass.
noddy

Postby ralphcimmarusti » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:18 pm

wow. Ok, I'm pretty excited to see how this all plays out. It looks like I have two males and 5 females based on the groupings you have described. Hopefully the other tank mates don't mess with them. I'm currently waiting to get a smaller tank for my Ikolas so I can move them and the gobys out of the community tank I have set up.
ralphcimmarusti

Postby noddy » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:35 pm

Males will be easy to spot. Even if they are still small they should start showing markings on their tails that the females don't have.

Note the blue outline on the tail.

Females will not have that.
noddy

Postby CSchmidt » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:22 pm

Yeah I have a pair that have not breed but I hear they are very passive fish and need to be with tank mates that are not aggressive. I plan to get 8 more in the next 2 weeks.
CSchmidt

Postby ralphcimmarusti » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:15 pm

I have the issue of aggressive tank mates. I am trying Tropheus ikola's with the paracyps. I also have two Tretocephalus, a small colony of similis, two gobys, two Vittatus, and two marlieri. I know it's a bad mix due to diet, but seems to be working so far. Any recommendations to help insure the paracyps to breed?
ralphcimmarusti

Postby noddy » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:37 am

ralphcimmarusti wrote:I have the issue of aggressive tank mates. I am trying Tropheus ikola's with the paracyps. I also have two Tretocephalus, a small colony of similis, two gobys, two Vittatus, and two marlieri. I know it's a bad mix due to diet, but seems to be working so far. Any recommendations to help insure the paracyps to breed?

With my experience of Tropheus and paracyps, that is a terrible combination. I have tried quite a few different fish with my Trophs, and the Paracyps were dead within a week. I currently keep a goup of 10 (5 albino and 5 reg.) paracyps and 4 Xeno Papilio Kanoni in a 5' 120g tank.
I have kept paracyps with Gobies, comps, nasutas, ventralis, furcifer, foai, jumbo cyps and cyp leptosoma with no problem at all.
Actually, reading back through your post, I see you just have a couple of Trophs in a community tank and not a colony. Not sure how that would work out.
noddy

Postby ralphcimmarusti » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:36 am

Thanks, yeah, I figured it was a bad call. Best thing to do now is try and convince my wife how bad I need a new tank so I can separate the trophs and paracyps.
ralphcimmarusti

Postby noddy » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:49 pm

ralphcimmarusti wrote:Thanks, yeah, I figured it was a bad call. Best thing to do now is try and convince my wife how bad I need a new tank so I can separate the trophs and paracyps.

Good luck with that. :P
noddy

Postby CSchmidt » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:45 am

ralphcimmarusti wrote:Thanks, yeah, I figured it was a bad call. Best thing to do now is try and convince my wife how bad I need a new tank so I can separate the trophs and paracyps.

I just got 5 albino paracyprichromis nigripinnis and 7 regular paracyprichromis nigripinnis to add to my group.

Any update on the paracyprichromis?
CSchmidt

Postby ralphcimmarusti » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:55 pm

I finally got rid of my trophs, I now have the paracyps, a pair of marlieri, 6 spotfin gobies (my new favorite), a pair of Vittatus and 1 synodontis catfish. I'm actively looking for more paracyps, my local fish store wants to charge me $50 per fish, which is crazy, but they overcharge everything. Any of you guys know of a good breeder for tangs that can conveniently ship to los angeles? I'm in desperate need a good reliable person that won't try and kill me on the prices. Hopefully once I get a nice group of 12 paracyps I can get them breeding.
ralphcimmarusti

Postby noddy » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:37 pm

ralphcimmarusti wrote:I finally got rid of my trophs, I now have the paracyps, a pair of marlieri, 6 spotfin gobies (my new favorite), a pair of Vittatus and 1 synodontis catfish. I'm actively looking for more paracyps, my local fish store wants to charge me $50 per fish, which is crazy, but they overcharge everything. Any of you guys know of a good breeder for tangs that can conveniently ship to los angeles? I'm in desperate need a good reliable person that won't try and kill me on the prices. Hopefully once I get a nice group of 12 paracyps I can get them breeding.

$50.00 per fish is ridiculous. When mine were breeding I was selling them for between 6 and 10 bucks, CANADIAN.
I have finally got a holding female after about a year of no breeding from my group (I sold off some larger males and they stopped breeding for me).
I have her in a 40g tank so I can hopefully add a few more females to the group. Good luck with your search.
noddy

Postby DJRansome » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:27 pm

PM sent.
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Petricola
55G Chrysonotus; 38G Demasoni
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Maingano; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species